Ben Gibbs, Assistant Professor
I am from Pennsylvania and met my wife while attending BYU. I have four daughters.
- Ph.D., Ohio State University, 2009
- M.S., Brigham Young University, 2005
- B.S., Brigham Young University, 2003
My research is focused on early childhood inequality and the impact of family background on health and educational outcomes.
- Making Connections, National Organization for Research at the University of Chicago, 2015
- Mentoring Environment Grant, 2015
- Mentoring Environment Grant, Brigham Young University, 2013
- Student Mentorship Grant, Department of Sociology, 2010
- American Educational Research Association Dissertation Grant, American Educational Research Association, 2009
- Spencer Foundation Grant, Spencer Foundation, 2009
- Graduate Association Teaching Award, Ohio State University, 2008
- Teaching Excellence Award, Ohio State University, 2007
- Sant Research on Families Fellowship, Sant Research on Families, 2004
- Sociology of Education Association
- American Educational Research Association
- American Sociological Association
- Benjamin Guild Gibbs, Priyank G. Shah, Douglas B. Downey, Jonathan A Jarvis (2016). The Asian American Advantage in Math among Young Children: The Complex Role of Parenting. Sociological Perspectives.
- Benjamin Guild Gibbs, Kevin M Shafer, Mikaela J Dufur (2015). Why Infer? The Use and Misuse of Population Data in Sport Research. International Review for the Sociology of Sport.
- Brian Harris, Charles Morgan, Benjamin Guild Gibbs (2014). Evidence of Political Moderation over Time: Utah’s Immigration Debate On-Line. New Media and Society.
- Benjamin Guild Gibbs, Tim Braley Heaton (2014). Drop Out from Primary to Secondary School in Mexico: A Life Course Perspective. International Journal of Educational Development.
- Benjamin Guild Gibbs, Renata A Forste (2014). Socioeconomic Status, Infant Feeding Practices, and Early Childhood Obesity. Pediatric Obesity.
- Benjamin Guild Gibbs, Renata A Forste (2014). Breastfeeding, Parenting, and Early Cognitive Development. The Journal of Pediatrics.
- Benjamin Guild Gibbs, Aaron Woodall, Michael Rutkowski (2012). The Mini-Documentary. TRAILS.
- Benjamin Guild Gibbs, Jonathan A Jarvis, Mikaela J Dufur (2012). The Rise of the Underdog?: The Relative Age Effect Reversal among Canadian-born NHL Hockey Players: A Response to Nolan and Howell. International Review for the Sociology of Sport.
- Benjamin Guild Gibbs (2010). Reversing Fortunes or Content Change? Gender Gaps in Math-Related Skill throughout Childhood. Social Science Research.
- Benjamin Guild Gibbs, Mikaela J Dufur, Shawn Meiners, David Jeter (2010). Gladwell’s Big Kid Bias? Contexts.