Dean Busby, Professor
Department: Family LifeVita
Dean M. Busby, Ph.D. is the director of the School of Family Life at Brigham Young University. He received his Ph.D. in Family Therapy from Brigham Young University. Following his schooling he taught at Syracuse University and Texas Tech University, where he was the department chair, before returning to Brigham Young University. He is a published author of books, book chapters, and research articles in the area of marriage relationships, sexuality, relationship education and intervention, assessment of couples, and relationship trauma. His research has garnered university and national awards and been funded by federal and state grants. Dr. Busby has taught at the university level for more than twenty years, primarily in the area of dating and marriage relationships, family violence, and research methods. His courses are popular and well-received. Dr. Busby has been married for 30 years and he and his wife Colleen are the parents of three sons.
- Ph.D., Brigham Young University, 1990
Marriage relationships, sexuality, relationship conflict, relationship education and intervention, assessment of couples, and relationship trauma
- Virginia F. Culture Lecturer 2011, School of Family Life, 2011
- Dean M Busby, Jeffry Hale Larson, Thomas B Holman, William K Halford (2015). Flexible delivery approaches to couple relationship education: Predictors of initial engagement and retention of couples. Child and Family Studies.
- Kim H Halford, C A Pepping, P Halpert, Dean M Busby, Jeffry Hale Larson, Guy Bodenmann, K L Wilson, Tom Holman (2015). Immediate Effect of Couple Relationship Education on Low-Satisfaction Couples: A Randomized Clinical Trial Plus an Uncontrolled Trial Replication. Behavior Therapy.
- Jerevie M. Canlas, Richard B Miller, Dean M Busby, Jason S Carroll (2015). Same-Race and Interracial Asian-White Couples: Relational and Social Contexts and Relationship Outcomes. Journal of Comparative Family Studies.
- Dean M Busby, Keitaro Yoshida (2015). Challenges with online research for couples and families: Evaluating nonrespondents and the differential impact of incentives. Journal of Child and Family Studies.
- Frank O. Poulsen, Thomas B Holman, Dean M Busby, Jason S Carroll (2013). Physical attraction, attachment styles, and dating development. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships.
- Shelece McAllister, Stephen Farr Duncan, Dean M Busby (2013). Exploratory Analysis of Factors Associated with Participation in Self-directed and Traditional Marriage and Relationship Education. Marriage and Family Review.
- Brian J Willoughby, Jason S Carroll, Dean M Busby (2012). The Different Effects of "Living Together": Determining and Comparing Types of Cohabiting Couples. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships.
- Jeffry Hale Larson, mallory j meyer, Dean M Busby, James M Harper (2012). Workin hard or hardly working? Comparing relationship self regulation levels of cohabiting, married, and remarried individuals.
- Katherine Christensen, Laura Padilla Walker, Dean M Busby, Sam A Hardy, Randal D Day (2011). Relational and Social-Cognitive Influences on Adolescents' Forgiveness of Parents . Journal of Adolescence .
- Jason S Carroll, Luke R. Dean, Lindsay Larson, Dean M Busby (2011). Materialism and Marriage: Couple Profiles of Congruent and Incongruent Spouses. Journal of Couple and Relationship Therapy.