Jaren Pope, Associate Professor
Jaren Pope is an Associate Professor in the Department of Economics at Brigham Young University. Jaren’s primary research area is in environmental and urban economics. Much of his work has been focused on using property value information and quasi-experimental hedonic techniques to understand how households value environmental and urban amenities. He also does work related to behavioral economics and the economics of education. Jaren has conducted funded research for the Lincoln Institute of Land Policy, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Some of his most recent research articles have appeared in the Quarterly Journal of Economics, Journal of Financial Economics, International Economic Review, Games and Economic Behavior, the Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, and the Journal of Urban Economics. In his free time he enjoys doing activities with his wife and three daughters and serving the community through his church. He also enjoys playing sports including basketball, tennis, mountain biking, and slalom waterskiing.
- PhD, North Carolina State University, 2006
- MA, North Carolina State University, 2004
- BA, Brigham Young University, 2001
- FHSS Mary Lou Fulton Young Scholar Award, College of Family Home and Social Science, 2017
- CoreLogic Academic Research Council (CLARC) award for scholarly research, CoreLogic, 2014
- David C. Lincoln Fellowship, Lincoln Institute of Land Policy, 2010
- Dissertation award, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, 2007
- Graduate School Dissertation Award, College of Management, North Carolina State University, 2007
- Doctoral Dissertation Research Grant Winner, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, 2006
- Graduate Fellowship, North Carolina state University, 2006
- American Agricultural Economics Association
- Association of Environmental and Resource Economists
- American Economic Association
- Devin G. Pope, Jaren Clive Pope (2014). Understanding College Application decisions: Why College Sports Success Matters. Journal of Sports Economics.
- Chris Parmeter, Jaren Clive Pope (2013). Quasi-Experiments and Hedonic Property Value Methods. Handbook on Experimental Economics and the Environment.
- Nicolai V. Kuminoff, Jaren Clive Pope (2013). The Value of Residential Land and Improvements during the Great Housing Boom and Bust. Land Economics.
- Nicolai V. Kuminoff, Jaren Clive Pope (2012). A Novel Approach to Identifying Hedonic Demand Parameters. Economics Letters.
- Devin G. Pope, Jaren Clive Pope (2012). Crime and Property Values: Evidence from the 1990's Crime Drop. Regional Science and Urban Economics.
- Darrell Bosch, Nicolai V. Kuminoff, Kurt Stephenson, Alex Miller, Jaren Clive Pope, Anna Harris (2010). Evaluation of Policy Options for Expanding Oyster Aquaculture in Virginia. Journal of Aquaculture Economics and Management.
- Kevin Boyle, Nick V. Kuminoff, Chris Parmeter, Jaren Clive Pope (2010). The Benefit Transfer Challenges. Annual Review of Resource Economics.
- Nicolai V. Kuminoff, Chris Parmeter, Jaren Clive Pope (2010). Which Hedonic Models Can We Trust to Recover the MWTP for Environmental Amenities? Journal of Environmental Economics and Management.