- PhD, University of Utah, 2001
- MS, Brigham Young University, 1998
- BS, Brigham Young University, 1994
There is now robust evidence of the protective effects of social relationships both on morbidity and on mortality, with a magnitude of effect comparable with many well-established risk factors such as smoking cessation and obesity. My program of research examines the influence of both the quantity and the quality of social relationships on long-term health and on risk for mortality, and the biological pathways (e.g., cardiovascular, neuroendocrine, genetic) by which such associations may occur. I also consider the potentially detrimental influence of negativity in close relationships (e.g., ambivalence, marital distress). My studies have examined social relationships at a network level, among married couples, in mother-and-infant relationships, and within friendships. My work is interdisciplinary and takes a multimethod approach including experimental, naturalistic, meta-analytic, and intervention studies.
- Fellow, Association for Psychological Science
- Marjorie Pay Hinkley Endowed Chair Research Award, Brigham Young University, 2015
- George A. Miller Award, American Psychological Association, 2014
- Fulton Young Scholar Award, Brigham Young University, 2012
- Citation Award for Excellence in Research, Society of Behavioral Medicine, 2010
- Citation Award for Excellence in Research, Society of Behavioral Medicine, 2008
- Citation Award for Excellence in Research, Society of Behavioral Medicine, 2006
- American Psychosomatic Society
- Society of Experimental Social Psychology
- European Health Psychology Society
- Dustin M Logan, Kyle R Hill, Rochelle Jones, Julianne Holt-Lunstad, Michael J Larson (2014). How do memory and attention change with pregnancy and childbirth? A controlled longitudinal examination of neuropsychological functioning in pregnant and postpartum women. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology.
- Julianne Holt-Lunstad, Timothy B Smith (2012). Social Relationships and Longevity. Social and Personality Psychology Compass.
- Julianne Holt-Lunstad, Timothy B Smith, Bradley Layton (2010). Social relationships and mortality risk: A meta-analytic review. PLoS Medicine.
- Julianne Holt-Lunstad, Patrick R Steffen, P Pickard, Jonathan G Sandberg, W Pederson (2010). Marital quality and risk factors for CHD. Psychosomatic Medicine.