Jeremy Yorgason, Associate Professor
Department: Family LifeVita
Jeremy B. Yorgason is an Associate Professor in the School of Family Life at Brigham Young University. He received his PhD from Virginia Tech in marriage and family therapy. He also completed a graduate gerontology certificate at Kansas State University, and was a post-doctoral fellow at the Gerontology Center of Penn State University, with an emphasis in mental health and aging. Dr. Yorgason is a member of the Gerontology Program faculty at BYU. His research interests are in the area of later life family relationships, with a specific focus on health and marriage. His current research efforts focus on later life couple relationships in context of the effects of daily health stressors, managing multiple chronic illnesses, and on grandparent/grandchild relationships. He is also starting the Couple Relationships and Transitions Experiences study (CREATE), which explores how recently married couples manage minor and major life transitions.
- National Institute of Mental Health Post Doctoral Fellow, Pennsylvania State University, 2005
- Ph.D., Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2003
- M.S., Kansas State University, 2000
- B.S., Brigham Young University, 1997
Family relationships in later life with a specific focus on marriage and health, and on grandparent/grandchild relationships
- Gerontological Society of America
- National Council on Family Relations
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- Jeremy B Yorgason, Heejeong Choi (2016). Health contributions to marital quality: Expected and unexpected links. Couple relationships in the middle and later years: Their nature, complexity, and role in health and illness .
- Tabitha Webster, Jeremy B Yorgason, Ashley Maag, Charity Clifford, Kathleen Baxter, David Thompson (2016). Mental health concerns of older adults living in long term care facilities: An area of expansion for MFTs. American Journal of Family Therapy.
- Joe D. Wilmoth, Jeremy B Yorgason, Alex J. Bishop (2015). A word from the guest editors. Journal of Religion, Spirituality, & Aging.
- Jeremy B Yorgason, Tracey LaPierre, Benjamin Hayter (2014). Grandparenting. Encyclopedia of quality of life and well-being research.
- Jeremy B Yorgason, Lee N Johnson, Nathan R Hardy (2014). Examining micro-change in clinical populations using a daily diary approach. Advanced methods in family therapy research: A focus on validity and change.
- Jeremy B Yorgason, Kathryn Gustafson (2014). Linking grandparent involvement with the development of prosocial behavior in adolescents. The Multidimensionality of Prosocial Behavior: Biological, Socialization, and Contextual Perspectives .
- Jeremy B Yorgason (2013). The health paradox within marriage.
- Ann Jubber, Susanne Olsen Roper, Jeremy B Yorgason, Franklin Poulsen, Barbara L Mandleco (2013). Individual and family predictors of psychological control in parents raising children with type 1 diabetes . Families, Systems, & Health.
- Jonathan G Sandberg, James M Harper, Edward Jeffrey Hill, Richard B Miller, Jeremy B Yorgason, Randal D Day (2013). "What happens at home does not necessarily stay at home": The relationship of observed negative couple interaction with physical health, mental health, and work satisfaction. Journal of Marriage and Family.
- Jeremy B Yorgason, Susanne Olsen Roper, Jonathan G Sandberg, Cynthia Berg (2012). Stress spillover of health symptoms from healthy spouses to patient spouses in older married couples managing both diabetes and osteoarthritis. Families, Systems, and Health.