Lauren Barnes, Assistant Professor
Department: Family LifeVita
Dr. Lauren A. Barnes, LMFT grew up in Washington and Oregon. During her graduate programs, Dr. Barnes worked at BYU Women’s Services and Resource Center and the BYU Comprehensive Clinic where she became specialized in treating women’s issues such as body image, eating disorders, and postpartum depression. While working there, Dr. Barnes co-created a program aimed at improving self and body image. During and after her PhD program, she worked as a therapist at Center for Change, a residential treatment centers for women and girls struggling with eating disorders.
Dr. Barnes is currently the Director of Clinical Training for BYU’s Marriage & Family Therapy program. She also maintains a small private practice. She has researched and presented on family implicit rules in eating disordered and non-eating disordered families as well as other family system dynamics related to economic distress, division of labor, parenting involvement, and marital relationships.
Dr. Barnes has been married for 10 years and she and her husband, Aaron, have a son and daughter.
- Ph.D., Brigham Young University, 2013
- M.S., Brigham Young University, 2010
- B.S., Brigham Young University, 2008
Women’s issues such as body image, eating disorders, reproductive issues and relationship struggles.
- Nelson Weaver Galbraith Faculty Development Award, School of Family Life, 2017
- Nelson Weaver Galbraith Faculty Development Award, School of Family Life, 2016
- Marriage & Family Therapy Full-Tuition Scholarship, Brigham Young University, 2013
- Marriage & Family Therapy Half-Tuition Scholarship, Brigham Young University, 2010
- Peters and Driggs Scholarship, 2009
- Richard and Jean Holmes Scholarship, 2009
- Dewey & Lorraine MacKay Scholarship, 2008
- Enriched Environment Scholarship, Brigham Young University, 2008
- College of Family, Home & Social Science Dean's List, Brigham Young University, 2007
- University Dean's List, Brigham Young University, 2007
- Multicultural Student Services Scholarship, 2007
- Roland & Dora Mae Crabtree Scholarship, 2006
- Utah Association for Marriage & Family Therapy
- American Association for Marriage & Family Therapy
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Psi Chi Honor Society