Mikaela Dufur, Associate Professor
Mikaela Dufur received a bachelor's degree in English from Brigham Youn University and master's and PhD degrees in sociology from The Ohio State University. Her primary research interests are in the social resources available to children and adolescents, particularly how those resources vary in different family structures. She also studies race and gender in sports.
- PHD, OHIO STATE UNIV COLUMBUS, 2000
- MA, OHIO STATE UNIV COLUMBUS, 1996
- BA, BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY, 1994
Child and Adolescent Social Capital
Social Resources in Families and Schools
Single Mother and Single Father Families
Cross-national difference in Family Structures
Race and Gender in Sport
- National Council of Family Relations
- Population Association of America
- Mikaela J Dufur, Alyssa J Alexander (2017). Does Childhood Family Structure Help Create Stratification in Adult Education and Labor Market Attainment?: An Argument for the Selectivity Perspective. Sociology Compass.
- Benjamin Guild Gibbs, Kevin M Shafer, Mikaela J Dufur (2015). Why Infer? The Use and Misuse of Population Data in Sport Research. International Review for the Sociology of Sport.
- Seth L Feinberg, Mikaela J Dufur, Amy Famelos, Valeria Fisher (2014). Senseless Messaging: Advertising Images of Illegal Driving and Deviant Behavior. Deviant Behavior.
- Tim Braley Heaton, Mikaela J Dufur, Acheampong Y Amoateng (2014). Race Differences in Educational Attainment of Youth Aged 7-18 in Post-Apartheid South Africa: The role of Family Structure, Resources and School Quality. South African Journal of Sociology.
- Benjamin Guild Gibbs, Jonathan A Jarvis, Mikaela J Dufur (2012). The Rise of the Underdog?: The Relative Age Effect Reversal among Canadian-born NHL Hockey Players: A Response to Nolan and Howell. International Review for the Sociology of Sport.
- Benjamin Guild Gibbs, Mikaela J Dufur, Shawn Meiners, David Jeter (2010). Gladwell’s Big Kid Bias? Contexts.
- Mikaela J Dufur, Nyssa C. Howell, Douglas B. Downey, James W. Ainsworth, Alice Jane Lapray (2010). Differences in Parenting Behaviors in Single-Mother and Single-Father Households. Journal of Marriage and Family.
- Mikaela J Dufur (2010). Title IX and Other Legal Interventions in Sport: Consequences for Female Athletes, Male Athletes, and Gender Construction. Sociology Compass.
- Toby L. Parcel, Mikaela J Dufur, Rena Cornell Zito (2010). Capital at Home and at School: A Review and Synthesis. Journal of Marriage and Family.