- Psychology Postdoctoral Resident, Brigham Young University, 2004
- PhD, University of Utah, 2002
My research interests are often focused on examining the effects of sexism, stereotypes, and gender-role traditionality on individuals’ attitudes toward violence against women. Another area of my research is to investigate the cultural factors, such as stigma, discrimination, collectivism, and so forth that may influence one’s attitudes toward mental health services. I conduct these studies in cross-cultural settings.
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science BRIDGE Fellow, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (Japanese Government), 2015
- The Japanese Association for Mental Health
- American Psychological Association
- Niwako Yamawaki, Clinton Kelly, Brooke E Dresden, Gregory Buseth, Christina E Riley (2016). The predictive effects of work environment on stigma toward and practical concerns for seeking mental health services. Military Medicine.
- Niwako Yamawaki, T Stephens, Akiko Kamimura, H Bhattacharya, R Birkholz, A Makomenaw, L M Olsen (2016). Rape myth acceptance among college students in the United States, Japan and India. Sage Open.
- Niwako Yamawaki, Akiko Kamimura, H N Trinh, H Nguyen, H Bhattacharya, R Birkholz, L Olsen (2016). Bystander behavior to prevent sexual assault: A study of college students in the United States, Japan, India, Vietnam, and China. Journal of Sex Research.
- M Carlson, Akiko Kamimura, H N Tring, Niwako Yamawaki, H Bhattacharya, H Makomenaw (2015). Perceptions of violence against women among college students in the US, Japan, India, Vietnam and China. Public Policy and Administration Research.
- Niwako Yamawaki, Christina Riley, Takeshi Sato, Mika Omori (2015). Beliefs about causes of and risk factors for mental disorders: A comparison of Japanese and American college students. Asian Social Science.
- Niwako Yamawaki, G W Parrott, M Spackman (2015). A Cross-Cultural Comparison of American and Japanese Experiences of Personal and Vicarious Sham. Journal of Cognition and Culture.
- Mika Omori, Niwako Yamawaki, E L McKyer (2014). A Comparative Study of Smoking in American and Japanese Adolescents: Self, Social Influences, and Health Belief. International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction.
- Hiroko Kukihara, Niwako Yamawaki, A Uchiyama, S Arai, E Horikawa (2014). A cross- sectional study of resilience, depression, and trauma among Great East Japan Earthquake survivors. Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences.
- Curt Johnson, Melissa Ann Heath, Benjamin M Bailey, Sarah Marie Coyne, Niwako Yamawaki, Dennis Lee Eggett (2013). Adolescents’ Perceptions of Male Involvement in Relational Aggression: Age and Gender Differences. Routledge, Journal of School Violence.
- M Cai, Sam A Hardy, Joseph A Olsen, D A Nelson, Niwako Yamawaki (2013). Parent- adolescent attachment as a mediator of relations between parenting and adolescent social behavior and well-being in China. International Journal of Psychology.