Ross Flom, Professor
Ross was born and raised in Minneapolis Minnesota and attended the University of Minnesota earning his BS and PhD degrees. Ross became a member of the Church of Jesus Christ: Latter-day Saints in 1998 and in 2001 a faculty member at BYU. Outside of school Ross enjoys running and is a self-proclaimed Parrotthead.
- PhD, University of Minnesota, 1999
- MS, Idaho State University, 1993
- BS, University of Minnesota, 1992
My research examines early perceptual and cognitive development in children in the first three years of life. One area of investigation focuses on the manner in which infants come to perceive and understand different emotional expressions, also how another’s expression of affect influences learning and memory in early infancy. Another area of investigation concerns the way infants and young children come to understand the intentions of another. Additional research examines domestic dogs’ proclivity in using human communicative behavior in simple problem solving tasks. Further research is examining canines’ capacity for social referencing.
- Virginia Cutler Lecture Faculty Fellowship, College of FHSS - School of Family Life, 2012
- Young Scholar, Brigham Young University, 2011
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Ross A Flom (2014). Perceptual Narrowing: Retrospect and Prospect. Developmental Psychobiology.
- Ross A Flom, Mark O. Whiteley (2013). The dynamics of intermodal matching: 7- and 12- month-olds’ intermodal matching of affec. European Journal of Developmental Psychology.
- Dan C. Hyde, Christin Laray Porter, Ross A Flom, Sarah Ahlander-Stone (2013). Relational congruence facilitates neural mapping of spatial and temporal magnitudes in preverbal infant. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience.
- Mariana Vaillant Molina, Lorraine E. Bahrick, Ross A Flom (2013). Young infants’ match facial and vocal expressions of other infants. Infancy.
- Ross A Flom (2012). Intersensory Perception of Faces and Voices in Human Infants. Integrating Face and Voice in Person Perception.
- Joe Fair, Ross A Flom, Jacob Jones, Justin Martin (2012). Perceptual Learning: 12-Month-olds’ Discrimination of Monkey Faces. Child Development.
- Ross A Flom, Anne D. Pick (2012). Dynamics of infant habituation: Infants’ discrimination of musical excerpts. Infant Behavior and Development.
- Ross A Flom, Sarah Johnson (2011). The effects of adults' affectie expression and direction of visual gaze on 12-month-olds' visual preference for an object following a 5-minute, 1-day or 1-month delay. British Journal of Developmental Psychology.
- Megan Oliver, Zac Carter, Sean Rutschke, Whitney Worsham, Trent Romney, Karl Nielson, Scott Stroshine, Jesse Cobell, Ross A Flom, Christopher B Kirwan (2011). The effect of emotion on recognition memory in human infants. Society for Neuroscience Abstracts.
- Ross A Flom, Lorraine E. Bahrick (2010). The Effects of Intersensory Redundancy on Attention in Memory: Infants' Long-Term Memory for Orientation in Audiovisual Events. Developmental Psychology.