Shawn Gale, Associate Professor
Licensed Psychologist since 1995 & Board Certified Clinical Neuropsychologist since 2000. Places practiced: private practice in SLC, University of Virginia Dept. of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, and SJHMC/ Barrow Neurological Institute.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, LDS Hospital, 1995
- PhD, Brigham Young University, 1994
- Internship, LDS Hospital, 1993
- MS, Brigham Young University, 1990
- BS, Brigham Young University, 1988
My research interests are largely centered in the field of neuropsychology, which is the study of brain-behavior relationships. I utilize both clinical and research techniques, including neurocognitive assessment and neuroimaging through our new MRI Research Facility here on campus, to investigate outcome following traumatic brain injury and epilepsy. More recently, I have become very interested in the potential negative effects of (latent) infectious disease on neurocognitive functions.
- Cindee Perry Wyman, Shawn D Gale, Ariana Hedges-Muncy, Lance David Erickson, Eric Wilson, Dawson W Hedges (2017). Association between Toxoplasma gondii Seropositivity and Memory Function in Non-Demented Older Adults.
- Jonathan Mietchen, David P Bennett, Trevor Huff, Dawson W Hedges, Shawn D Gale (2016). Executive function in pediatric sleep-disordered breathing: A Meta-analysis. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society.
- Jonathan Mietchen, Shawn D Gale, Chad D Jensen (2016). Parent-reported deficits in executive function and sleep disordered breathing in adolescent behavioral weight loss program participants. Journal of Pediatric Neuropsychology.
- Shawn D Gale, Lance David Erickson, Andrew Berrett, Bruce L Brown, Dawson W Hedges (2016). Infectious disease burden and cognitive function in young to middle-aged adults. Brain Behavior and Immunity.
- Ashley Levan, Garrett Black, Jonathan Mietchen, Leslie Baxter, Christopher B Kirwan, Shawn D Gale (2015). Right frontal pole cortical thickness and executive functioning in children with traumatic brain injury: The impact on social problems. Brain Imaging and Behavior.
- Shawn D Gale, Stacy W. Hill, Caleb Pearson (2015). Seizure semiology in male with psychogenic nonepileptic seizures is associated with somatic complaints.
- Lance David Erickson, Shawn D Gale, Andrew Berrett, Bruce L Brown, Dawson W Hedges (2015). Association between toxocariasis and cognitive functioning in young to middle-aged adults. Folia Parasitologica.
- Shawn D Gale, Lance David Erickson, Bruce L Brown, Dawson W Hedges (2015). Interaction between Helicobacter pylori and Latent Toxoplasmosis and Demographic Variables on Cognitive Function in Young to Middle-Aged Adults. PLOS ONE.
- Michael Zhang, Shawn D Gale, Lance David Erickson, Bruce L Brown, Parker Woody, Dawson W Hedges (2015). Cognitive function in older adults according to current socioeconomic status. Aging, Neuropsychology and Cognition.
- Shawn D Gale, Bruce L Brown, Lance David Erickson, Andrew Berrett, Dawson W Hedges (2014). Association Between Latent Toxoplasmosis and Cognition in Adults: A Cross-Sectional Study. Parasitology.