Stephen Duncan, Professor
Department: Family LifeVita
Stephen F. Duncan, Ph.D., CFLE, is Professor in the School of Family Life at Brigham Young University. Dr. Duncan specializes in strengthening marriages and families through outreach family life education. At BYU he teaches Strengthening Marriage and Family, Family Adaptability and Resiliency, and Marriage Enhancement courses, and undergraduate and graduate courses in Family Life Education. He conducts research on marriage preparation, marriage and relationship education, and improving the practice of family life education. With colleague and coauthor H. Wallace (Wally) Goddard, he has published the 3rd edition of Family Life Education: Principles and Practices for Effective Outreach (SAGE, 2016). In addition to teaching and research, Dr. Duncan also oversees outreach family life education projects for the School. He directs the Forever Families website (www.foreverfamilies.byu.edu), and was director of content development for Real Families, Real Answers, a popular reality-based documentary series airing on BYU Television worldwide and numerous American public television stations.
- PHD, PURDUE UNIVERSITY, 1988
- MS, BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY, 1985
- BS, UNIVERSITY OF UTAH, 1980
Marriage and relationship education; family life education training; family life education program development, implementation, and evaluation.
- Stephen Farr Duncan, H Wallace Goddard (2016). Family Life Education: Principles and Practices for Effective Outreach.
- Stephen Farr Duncan, Alan J Hawkins, Wallace H. Goddard (2016). Marriage and Relationship Education. Family Life Education: Principles and Practices for Effective Outreach.
- Tonya Fischio, Stephen Farr Duncan, Susan K. Walker (2016). Working with the Media in Family Life Education. Family Life Education: Principles and Practices for Effective Outreach.
- Stephen Farr Duncan (2015). Relationship and Marriage Education (RME) Best Practices: Conceptual and Methodological Issues. Evidence-based Approaches to Relationship and Marriage Education.
- Stephen Farr Duncan, Jeffry Hale Larson, Shelece McAllister (2014). Characteristics of Individuals Associated with Involvement in Different Types of Marriage Preparation Interventions. Family Relations.
- Camilla Beckstead Smith, Stephen Farr Duncan, Scott Ketring, Ellen Abell (2014). Assessing Marriage and Relationship Education Needs in Aruba. Journal of Couple and Relationship Therapy.
- Shelece McAllister, Stephen Farr Duncan, Dean M Busby (2013). Exploratory Analysis of Factors Associated with Participation in Self-directed and Traditional Marriage and Relationship Education. Marriage and Family Review.
- Shelece McAllister, Stephen Farr Duncan, Alan J Hawkins (2012). Examining the Early Evidence for Self-directed Marriage and Relationship Education: A Meta-analytic Study. Family Relations.
- Geniel R Childs, Stephen Farr Duncan (2012). Marriage Preparation Education Programs: An Assessment of Their Components. Marriage and Family Review.
- Stephen Farr Duncan, Sara McCarty Zasukha (2012). Foundational Processes for an Enduring, Healthy Marriage. Successful Marriages and Families.