- PhD, The Ohio State University, 2009
- MA, The Ohio State University, 2005
- BA, The Ohio State University, 2002
• Men’s mental health
• Romantic relationships
• Intersections of these issues, both in the United States and Latin America (Brazil)
- Garrett T Pace, Kevin M Shafer (2015). Parenting and Depression: Differences Across Parental Roles. Journal of Family Issues.
- John Patrick Hoffmann, Kevin M Shafer (2015). Linear Regression Analysis: Assumptions and Applications.
- Kevin M Shafer, Garrett T Pace (2015). Gender Differences in Depression Across Parental Roles. Social Work.
- Kevin M Shafer, Douglas Wendt (2015). Men's Mental Health: A Call to Social Workers. Social Work.
- Kevin M Shafer, Todd M Jensen, Jeffry Hale Larson (2014). An Actor-Partner Model of Relationship Effort and Marital Quality. Family Relations.
- Gordon E Limb, Kevin M Shafer, Katrina Sandoval (2014). The Impact of Kin Support on Urban American Indian Families. Child & Family Social Work.
- Kevin M Shafer, Todd M Jensen, Jeffry Hale Larson (2014). Relationship effort, satisfaction, and stability: Differences across union type. Journal of marital and family therapy.
- Kevin M Shafer, Todd M Jensen, Jeffry Hale Larson (2014). Relationship Effort, Satisfaction, and Stability Across Union Type. Journal of Marital & Family Therapy.
- Kevin M Shafer (2013). Unique Matching Patterns in Remarriage: Educational Assortative Mating among Divorced Men and Women. Journal of Family Issues.
- Kevin M Shafer, Spencer L James (2013). Gender and SES Differences in First and Second Marriage Formation. Journal of Marriage & Family.