- PhD, The Ohio State University, 2009
- MA, The Ohio State University, 2005
- BA, The Ohio State University, 2002
My major focus is marriage and family, with an emphasis on family reformation, stepfamilies, and remarriage; my secondary interests are in men in families and families & poverty. Finally, I do some work in quantitative methodology.
- Mentoring Enviornment Grant, ORCA and FHSS, 2015
- Family Studies Center Grant, BYU Family Studies Center, 2014
- Mentoring Enviornment Grant, ORCA and FHSS, 2014
- American Sociological Association
- Population Association of America
- National Council on Family Relations
- Society for Social Work & Research
- Council on Social Work Education
- National Association of Social Workers
- Kevin M Shafer, Todd M Jensen (2013). Remarital Chances, Choices, and Economic Consequences: Issues of Social and Personal Welfare. Journal of Sociology & Social Welfare.
- Michael M O Seipel, Kevin M Shafer (2013). The Effect of Prenatal and Postnatal Care on Childhood Obesity. Social Work.
- Kevin M Shafer, Spencer L James (2013). Gender and SES Differences in First and Second Marriage Formation. Journal of Marriage & Family.
- Todd M Jensen, Kevin M Shafer (2013). Stepfamily Functioning and Closeness: Children’s Views on Second Marriages and Stepfather Relationships. Social Work.
- Kevin M Shafer (2013). Disentangling the Relationship Between Age and Marital History in Age Assortative Mating. Marriage & Family Review.
- Gordon E Limb, Kevin M Shafer, Katrina Sandoval (2012). The Impact of Kin Support on Urban American Indian Families. Child & Family Social Work.
- Kevin M Shafer, Todd M Jensen, Jeffry Hale Larson (2012). Relationship Effort, Satisfaction, and Stability Across Union Type. Journal of Marital & Family Therapy.
- Spencer L James, Kevin M Shafer (2012). Temporal Differences in Remarriage Timing: Comparing Divorcés and Widows. Journal of Divorce & Remarriage.
- Kevin M Shafer (2012). Unique Matching Patterns in Remarriage: Educational Assortative Mating among Divorced Men and Women. Journal of Family Issues.
- Matthew A Painter, Kevin M Shafer (2011). Race Ethnicity, Children, and Household Wealth Accumulation. Journal of Comparative Family Studies.