- PhD, The Ohio State University, 2009
- MA, The Ohio State University, 2005
- BA, The Ohio State University, 2002
I primarily study fathering behaviors (both in the U.S. and internationally), with an emphasis on stepfamilies, men's mental health, and families in poverty. Some of my work also addresses post-divorce relationship formation, quality, and quantitative methodology.
- Mentoring Enviornment Grant, ORCA and FHSS, 2015
- Family Studies Center Grant, BYU Family Studies Center, 2014
- Mentoring Enviornment Grant, ORCA and FHSS, 2014
- Population Association of America
- American Men's Studies Association
- Council on Social Work Education
- Society for Social Work & Research
- Michael Bartlett, Kevin M Shafer, Michael M O Seipel (2013). Egalitarian Attitudes and their Association with Income, Poverty, and Entitlement Program Utilization. Journal of Human Behavior & the Social Environment.
- Garrett T Pace, Kevin M Shafer (2013). Parenting and Depression: Differences Across Parental Roles. Journal of Family Issues.
- Garrett T Pace, Kevin M Shafer, Todd M Jensen, Jeffry Hale Larson (2013). Stepparenting Issues and Relationship Quality: The Role of Clear Communication. Journal of Social Work.
- Alexander Gray, Kevin M Shafer, Gordon E Limb, Dean M Busby (2013). Unique influences on American Indian relationship quality: An American Indian and Caucasian comparision. Journal of Comparative Family Studies.
- Jeffry Hale Larson, todd m jensen, garrett t pace, Kevin M Shafer (2013). former spouse ties and postdivorce relationship quality: relationship effort as a mediator. Journal of Social Service Research.
- Kevin M Shafer, Todd M Jensen (2013). Remarital Chances, Choices, and Economic Consequences: Issues of Social and Personal Welfare. Journal of Sociology & Social Welfare.
- Michael M O Seipel, Kevin M Shafer (2013). The Effect of Prenatal and Postnatal Care on Childhood Obesity. Social Work.
- Kevin M Shafer, Spencer L James (2013). Gender and SES Differences in First and Second Marriage Formation. Journal of Marriage & Family.
- Todd M Jensen, Kevin M Shafer (2013). Stepfamily Functioning and Closeness: Children’s Views on Second Marriages and Stepfather Relationships. Social Work.
- Kevin M Shafer (2013). Disentangling the Relationship Between Age and Marital History in Age Assortative Mating. Marriage & Family Review.