Kevin Shafer, Assistant Professor
Department: Social WorkVita
Kevin Shafer has been an Assistant Professor in the School of Social Work at Brigham Young University since 2011. He has three research foci. First, he researches father involvement in US and Brazil and its effects on men, women, and children. Second, he researches gender differences in mental health and help-seeking both in the US and Brazil. Third, he studies stepfamily dynamics, particularly the influence of stepfather-child relationships and biological father-child relationships on stepchild well-being. He is a lead investigator on the Stepfamily Experience Project (with Erin Holmes), the Survey of Contemporary Fatherhood (with Erin Holmes, Richard Petts, & Jennifer Bellamy), and is the faculty advisor for the BYU Men’s Studies Research Lab, a multidisciplinary research group addressing men’s health and fathering.
- PhD, The Ohio State University, 2009
- MA, The Ohio State University, 2005
- BA, The Ohio State University, 2002
• Men’s mental health
• Romantic relationships
• Intersections of these issues, both in the United States and Latin America (Brazil)
- Garrett T Pace, Kevin M Shafer (2015). Parenting and Depression: Differences Across Parental Roles. Journal of Family Issues.
- John Patrick Hoffmann, Kevin M Shafer (2015). Linear Regression Analysis: Assumptions and Applications.
- Kevin M Shafer, Garrett T Pace (2015). Gender Differences in Depression Across Parental Roles. Social Work.
- Kevin M Shafer, Douglas Wendt (2015). Men's Mental Health: A Call to Social Workers. Social Work.
- Kevin M Shafer, Todd M Jensen, Jeffry Hale Larson (2014). An Actor-Partner Model of Relationship Effort and Marital Quality. Family Relations.
- Gordon E Limb, Kevin M Shafer, Katrina Sandoval (2014). The Impact of Kin Support on Urban American Indian Families. Child & Family Social Work.
- Kevin M Shafer, Todd M Jensen, Jeffry Hale Larson (2014). Relationship effort, satisfaction, and stability: Differences across union type. Journal of marital and family therapy.
- Kevin M Shafer, Todd M Jensen, Jeffry Hale Larson (2014). Relationship Effort, Satisfaction, and Stability Across Union Type. Journal of Marital & Family Therapy.
- Kevin M Shafer (2013). Unique Matching Patterns in Remarriage: Educational Assortative Mating among Divorced Men and Women. Journal of Family Issues.
- Kevin M Shafer, Spencer L James (2013). Gender and SES Differences in First and Second Marriage Formation. Journal of Marriage & Family.