Ben Gibbs, Associate Professor
I am from Pennsylvania and met my wife while attending BYU. I have five glorious daughters.
My research is focused on early childhood inequality and the impact of family background on health and educational outcomes.
- Making Connections from National Organization for Research at the University of Chicago, 2014
- Mentoring Environment Grant from , 2014
- Mentoring Environment Grant from Brigham Young University, 2011
- Student Mentorship Grant from Department of Sociology, 2010
- American Educational Research Association Dissertation Grant from American Educational Research Association, 2009
- Spencer Foundation Grant from Spencer Foundation, 2008
- Graduate Association Teaching Award from Ohio State University, 2008
- Teaching Excellence Award from Ohio State University, 2007
- Sant Research on Families Fellowship from Sant Research on Families, 2004
- Sociology of Education Association
- American Educational Research Association
- American Sociological Association
- Gibbs, B. (2019). Education & Society: An Introduction to Critical Issues in the Sociology of Education. UC Press.
- Gibbs, B. (2018). Breastfeeding, Parenting, and Infant Attachment Behaviors. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 22(4), 579-588.
- Gibbs, B. (2017). Birth Weight, Parenting, and Early Cognitive Development. Maternal and Child Health Journal(21), 156-167.
- Gibbs, B. (2017). Commentary: ‘How Much is the Player in the Window? The One with the Early Birthday’ Relative Age Influences the Value of the Best Soccer Players, but Not the Best Businesspeople. Frontiers in Psychology.
- Gibbs, B. (2017). Inferential Statistics and the Use of Administrative Data in Educational Research. International Journal of Research & Method in Education.
- Gibbs, B., & Jarvis, J. (2017). The Relative Age Effect Reversal among the National Hockey League Elite. PLOS ONE.
- McKnight, M. L., Sanders, S., Gibbs, B., & Brown, R. (2017). Communities of Place? New Evidence for the Role of Distance and Population Size in Community Attachment. Rural Sociology, 82(2).
- Gibbs, B., & Jarvis, J. (2017). The Asian American Advantage in Math among Young Children: The Complex Role of Parenting. Sociological Perspectives, 60(2), 315-337.
- Gibbs, B., Erickson, L., Dufur, M., & Aaron, M. (2015). Extracurricular Associations and College Enrollment. Social Science Research, 50, 367-381.
- Gibbs, B., Shafer, K., & Dufur, M. (2015). Why Infer? The Use and Misuse of Population Data in Sport Research. International Review for the Sociology of Sport, 50(1).
- Harris, B., Morgan, C., & Gibbs, B. (2014). Evidence of Political Moderation over Time: Utah’s Immigration Debate On-Line. New Media and Society.
- Gibbs, B., & Heaton, T. (2014). Drop Out from Primary to Secondary School in Mexico: A Life Course Perspective. International Journal of Educational Development.
- Gibbs, B., & Forste, R. (2014). Socioeconomic Status, Infant Feeding Practices, and Early Childhood Obesity. Pediatric Obesity.
- Gibbs, B., & Forste, R. (2014). Breastfeeding, Parenting, and Early Cognitive Development. The Journal of Pediatrics.
- Gibbs, B., Woodall, A., & Rutkowski, M. (2012). The Mini-Documentary. TRAILS.
- Gibbs, B., & Dufur, M. (2012). The Rise of the Underdog?: The Relative Age Effect Reversal among Canadian-born NHL Hockey Players: A Response to Nolan and Howell. International Review for the Sociology of Sport, 47, 644-649.
- Gibbs, B. (2010). Reversing Fortunes or Content Change? Gender Gaps in Math-Related Skill throughout Childhood. Social Science Research, 39, 540-569.
- Gibbs, B., Dufur, M., Meiners, S., & Jeter, D. (2010). Gladwell’s Big Kid Bias?. Contexts, 9(4), 61-63.
- Gibbs, B. (2010). Novice, But Great. Talking About Teaching: A Collection of Essays, 4, 47-53.
- Downey, D. B., & Gibbs, B. (2010). How Schools Really Matter: A Contextual Perspective. Contexts, 9(2), 50-54.
- Bahr, S., Armstrong, A. H., Gibbs, B., Harris, P. E., & Fisher., J. K. (2005). The Reentry Process: How Parolees Adjust to Release from Prison. Fathering.