Bruce Brown, Professor
Office: 1098 KMBL
I was born and raised in American Fork, Utah. My missionary service was in the Western Canadian Mission. I attended the University of Utah, graduated from Brigham Young University with a B.S. degree and an M.S. degree, and obtained my PhD in psychology from McGill University in Montreal, Canada. I did post-doctoral work in mathematical psychology at University of Michigan.
My primary current research focus is the development of methods for neuropsychological measurement. In particular, our research team has been investigating the extraction of cognitive components from event-related potentials (EEG waves) as biomarkers for neuropsychiatric illnesses. I also work with students and faculty on the application of quantitative methods to organizational psychology problems, such as sexual harassment in the workplace, and I occasionally co-author papers on the statistical properties of name corpora.
- Phi Kappa Phi
- American Name Society
- Society for Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- American Statistical Association
- American Psychological Association
- Gale, S., Berrett, A. N., Erickson, L., Brown, B., & Hedges, D. (2018). Association between Virus Exposure and Depression in US Adults: Psychiatry Research.
- Berrett, A. N., Gale, S., Erickson, L., Brown, B., & Hedges, D. (2018). Helicobacter pylori moderates the association between 5-MTHF concentration and cognitive function in older adults. PLoS One, 13(1: e0190475).
- Berrett, A. N., Erickson, L., Gale, S., Stone, A., Brown, B., & Hedges, D. (2017). Toxocara Seroprevalence and Associated Risk Factors in the United States. American Journal of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene, 97(6), 1846-1850.
- Hedges, D., Berrett, A. N., Erickson, L., Brown, B., & Gale, S. (2017). Association between Infection Burden and Adult Height. Economics and Human Biology, 27, Part A, 275-280.
- Hendrix, S. B., Brown, B., Cummings, J. L., Lyketsos, C. G., Porsteinsson, A. P., Rosenberg, P. B., & Sano, M. (2017). Optimizing measurement of agitation and aggression in dementia. Alzheimer's and Dementia, 13(7), 136.
- Berrett, A. N., Gale, S., Erickson, L., Brown, B., & Hedges, D. (2017). Toxoplasma Gondii Moderates the Association between Multiple Folate-Cycle Factors and Cognitive Function in U.S. Adults. Nutrients, 9(6), 564.
- , M. C., Chapman, J. R., & Brown, B. (2016). Addressing the problem of acquiescence bias in career anchor measurement.. Organizational Cultures: An International Journal, 16(4), 13-24.
- Black, S., Wilcox, B., Smemoe, W., & Brown, B. (2016). Absence of "Joseph Smith" in the Book of Mormon: Lack of the name letter effect in Nephite, Lamanite, and Jaredite names. Religious Educator, 17(2).
- Berrett, A., Gale, S., Erickson, L., Brown, B., & Hedges, D. (2016). Folate and inflammatory markers moderate the association between Helicobacter pylori and cognitive function in US adults. Helicobacter, 21(6), 471-480.
- Berrett, A. N., Gale, S., Erickson, L., Brown, B., & Hedges, D. (2016). No Association between latent toxoplasmosis and multiple body measures in U.S. adults. Folia Parasitologica.
- Gale, S., Berrett, A., Brown, B., Erickson, L., & Hedges, D. (2016). No Association between current depression and latent toxoplasmosis in adults. , 63.
- Cai, M., Chapman, J. R., & Brown, B. (2016). Career anchor models evaluated in the context of a variety of populations. Organizational Cultures: An International Journal, 16(2), 21-36.
- Gale, S., Erickson, L., Berrett, A., Brown, B., & Hedges, D. (2016). Infectious disease burden and cognitive function in young to middle-aged adults. Brain Behavior and Immunity, 52, 161-168.
- Brown, B., Hendrix, S. B., Cecchi, M., Scott, J. M., Silcox, J. W., Brighton, K. D., & Hedges, D. (2016). A novel eigenvector-based method to detect mild Alzheimer’s disease using event-related potentials. Journal of Prevention of Alzheimer's Disease, 3(2), 101-104.
- Erickson, L., Gale, S., Berrett, A., Brown, B., & Hedges, D. (2015). Association between toxocariasis and cognitive functioning in young to middle-aged adults. Folia Parasitologica, 62.
- Gale, S., Erickson, L., Brown, B., & Hedges, D. (2015). Interaction between Helicobacter pylori and Latent Toxoplasmosis and Demographic Variables on Cognitive Function in Young to Middle-Aged Adults: PLOS ONE.
- Zhang, M., Gale, S., Erickson, L., Brown, B., Woody, P., & Hedges, D. (2015). Cognitive function in older adults according to current socioeconomic status. Aging, Neuropsychology and Cognition, 22(5), 534-543.
- Hedges, D., Janis, R., Mickelson, S., Keith, C., Bennett, D. P., & Brown, B. (2014). P300 amplitude in Alzheimer's disease: a meta-analysis and meta-regression. Clinical EEG and Neuroscience, 8 pages.
- Shatzer, R. H., Caldarella, P., Hallam, P., & Brown, B. (2014). Comparing the effects of instructional and transformational leadership on student achievement: Implications for practice. Educational Management Administration & Leadership.
- Gale, S., Brown, B., Erickson, L., Berrett, A., & Hedges, D. (2014). Association Between Latent Toxoplasmosis and Cognition in Adults: A Cross-Sectional Study. Parasitology.
- Chapman, J., & Brown, B. (2014). An empirical study of the career anchors that govern career decisions. Personnel Review, 43(5), 717-740.
- Gale, S., Brown, B., Berrett, A., Erickson, L., & Hedges, D. (2014). Associations between Latent Toxoplasmosis and Major Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Panic Disorder in Human Adults. Folia Parasitologica, 61(4), 285-292.
- Smemoe, W., Wilcox, B., Brown, B., Hoskisson, P. H., & nuttle, S. (2014). Naming practices in J.R.R. Tolkien's Invented Languages. Journal of Literary Onomastics, 3(1), 5-23.
- Monteith, K., Brown, B., Ventura, D., & Martinez, T. (2013). Automatic Music Generation for Inducing Physiological Responses. Proceedings of Cognitive Science 2013, 3098-3103.
- Wilcox, B., Smemoe, W., Black, S., & Brown, B. (forthcoming). Book of Mormon Names: A Collection that Defies Expectation. A Cultural, Historical, and Doctrinal Consideration of Mormon Names.
- Wilcox, B., Brown, B., Smemoe, W., Black, S., & Bray, J. (2013). Identifying authors by phonoprints in their characters' names: An exploratory study. Names, 61(2), 101-121.
- Barclay, W. B., Chapman, J., & Brown, B. (2013). Underlying factor structure of Schein’s career anchor model.. In Journal of Career Assessment. Sage.
- Zhang, M., Brown, B., & Hedges, D. (2012). Global representation in high-impact-factor psychiatric journals. International Psychiatry, 9(4), 94-96.
- Hedges, D., Farrer, T. J., & Brown, B. (2012). Association between C-reactive protein and cognitive deficits in elderly men and women: a meta-analysis. International Psychogeriatrics, 24(9), 1387-1392.
- Wilcox, B., Brown, B., Smemoe, W., Eggett, D., & Black, S. (forthcoming). Phonemic patterns in Book of Mormon personal names: Authentic names are unlike fictional names. Journal of Book of Mormon Research.
- Brown, B., Hendrix, S. B., Hedges, D., & Smith, T. (2012). Multivariate Analysis for the Biobehavioral and Social Sciences: A Graphical Approach. , 496.