David Nelson, Professor
Department: Family Life
- Recognition for Outstanding Contributions in Scholarship from BYU School of Family Life,
- Recognition for Highest Impact Publication for 2014 from BYU School of Family Life,
- Mary Lou Fulton Young Scholar from College of Family, Home, and Social Sciences, Brigham Young University, 2007
- International Society for Research on Aggression
- International Society for the Study of Behavioral Development
- Society for Research in Child Development
- International Society for Interpersonal Acceptance and Rejection
- Nelson, D., & Coyne, S. (2016). Correlates of sociometric status in Russian preschoolers: Aggression, victimization, and sociability. Personality and Individual Differences, 52, 332-336.
- Young, E., Nelson, D., Hottle, A. B., Warburton, B., & Young, B. K. (2013). Relational aggression in schools: Information for educators.. Communique, 42, 24-25.
- Miller, R., Mason, T., Canlas, J., & Nelson, D. (2013). Marital satisfaction and depressive symptoms in China. Journal of Family Psychology, 27, 677-682.
- Coyne, S., Gundersen, N., Nelson, D., & Stockdale, L. (2011). Adolescents’ prosocial responses to ostracism: An experimental study. Journal of Social Psychology, 151, 1-5.
- Nelson, D., Robinson, C., Hart, C. A., Albano, A. D., & Marshall, S. J. (2010). Peer interactions among Italian preschoolers: Peer-status linkages with physical and relational aggression and victimization. In Social Development (pp. 698-720). Wiley-Blackwell.
- Nelson, D., Hottle, A. B., Warburton, B., & Young, B. K. (2010). Relational aggression in schools. Helping children at home and school III: Handouts for families and educators.
- Carroll, J., Nelson, D., Harper, J., Hagmann, R., & Jensen, A. (2010). Relational Aggression in Marriage. Aggressive Behavior, 36, 315-329.
- Murray-Close, D., Ostrov, J. M., Nelson, D., Crick, N. R., & Coccaro, E. F. (2010). Proactive, reactive, and romantic relational aggression in adulthood: Measurement, predictive validity, gender differences, and association with intermittent explosive disorder. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 44(6), 393-404.
- Young, E., Nelson, D., Hottle, A. B., Warburton, B., & Young, B. K. (2009). Relational aggression in schools: Information for educators. Communiqué, 38, 24-25.
- Nelson, D., & Coyne, S. (2009). Children's intent attributions and feelings of distress: Associations with maternal and paternal parenting practices. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 37, 223-237.
- Coyne, S., Nelson, D., Lawton, F., Haslam, S., Rooney, L., Titterington, L., Ogunlaja, L. (2008). The effects of viewing physical and relational aggression in the media: Evidence for a cross-over effect. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 44, 1551-1554.
- Nelson, D., Mitchell, C., & Yang, C. (2008). Intent attributions and aggression: A study of children and their parents. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 36, 793-806.
- Nelson, D., Springer, M. M., Nelson, L., & Bean, N. H. (2008). Normative beliefs regarding aggression in emerging adulthood. Social Development, 17, 638-660.
- Nelson, D., Hart, C. A., Yang, C., Olsen, J., & Jin, S. (2006). Aversive parenting in China: Associations with child physical and relational aggression. Child Development, 77, 554-572.
- Nelson, D., Nelson, L., Hart, C. A., Yang, C., & Jin, S. (2006). Parenting and peer group behavior in cultural context. Peer Relationships in Cultural Context, 213-246.
- Boye, A. E., & Nelson, D. (2006). Relational aggression: Understanding, identifying, and responding in schools. Psychology in the Schools, 43, 297-312.
- Nelson, D., Robinson, C., & Hart, C. A. (2005). Relational and physical aggression of preschool children: Peer status linkages across informants. Early Education and Development, 16, 115-139.
- Yang, C., Hart, C. A., Nelson, D., Porter, C., Robinson, C., & Jin, S. (2004). Fathering in a Beijing, Chinese sample: Associations with boys' and girls' negative emotionality and aggression.. Conceptualizing and Measuring Father Involvement, 161-189.
- Roper, S., Yang, C., Hart, C. A., Robinson, C., Wu, P., Nelson, D., Wo, J. (2002). Maternal psychological control and preschool children's behavioral outcomes in China, Russia, and the United States. Intrusive Parenting: How Psychological Control Affects Children and Adolescents, 235-262.
- Nelson, D., & Crick, N. R. (2002). Parental psychological control: Implications for childhood physical and relational aggression.. Intrusive parenting: How psychological control affects children and adolescents, 161-189.
- Crick, N. R., & Nelson, D. (2002). Relational and physical victimization within friendships: Nobody told me there'd be friends like these.. In Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology (pp. 599-607).
- Crick, N. R., Casas, J. F., & Nelson, D. (2002). Toward a more comprehensive understanding of peer maltreatment: Studies of relational victimization.. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 98-101.
- Crick, N. R., Nelson, D., Morales, J. R., Cullerton-Sen, C., Casas, J. F., & Hickman, S. (2001). Relational Victimization in Childhood and Adolescence: I Hurt You Through the Grapevine. Relational Victimization in Childhood and Adolescence: I Hurt You Through the Grapevine, 196-214.
- Hart, C. A., Yang, C., Nelson, L., Robinson, C., Olsen, J., Nelson, D., Wu, P. (2000). Peer acceptance in early childhood and subtypes of socially withdrawn behavior in China, Russia, and the United States. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 24, 73-81.
- Hart, C. A., Nelson, D., Robinson, C., Roper, S., McNeilly-Choque, M. K., Porter, C., & Mckee, T. R. (2000). Russian Parenting Styles and Family Processes: Linkages with Subtypes of Victimization and Aggression. Family and Peers: Linking Two Social Worlds, 47-84.
- Crick, N. R., Werner, N. E., Casas, J. F., O'Brien, K. M., Nelson, D., Grotpeter, J. K., & Markon, K. (1999). Childhood aggression and gender: A new look at an old problem. In D. Bernstein (Ed.), Volume 45 of the Nebraska Symposium on Motivation: Gender and Motivation (pp. 75-141). Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska Press.
- Hart, C. A., Yang, C., Nelson, D., Jin, S., Bazarskaya, N., Nelson, L., Wu, P. (1998). Peer Contact Patterns, Parenting Practices and Preschoolers' Social Competence in China, Russia and the United States. Children's Peer Relations, Peer Relations Amongst Children: Current Issues and Future Directions, 3-30.
- Hart, C. A., Nelson, D., Robinson, C., Roper, S., & McNeilly-Choque, M. K. (1998). Overt and relational aggression in Russian nursery-school-age children: Parenting style and marital linkages. Developmental Psychology, 34, 687-697.