Kevin Shafer, Associate Professor
Office: 2019 JFSB
Kevin Shafer is an Associate Professor in Sociology and faculty affiliate in Social Work at Brigham Young University. His work addresses men's mental health, fathering, and how paternal mental health impacts father involvement and child wellbeing.
- PhD in Sociology from The Ohio State University, 2009
- MA in Sociology from The Ohio State University, 2005
- BA in Sociology from The Ohio State University, 2002
• Mental health
• Social inequality
- Marjorie Pay Hinckley Young Scholar from College of Family, Home, and Social Sciences, 2017
- James, S., Roby, J., Powell, L. J., Teuscher, B. A., Hamstead, K. L., & Shafer, K. (forthcoming). Does Family Reunification from Residential Care Facilities Serve Children's Best Interest? A Propensity-Score Matching Approach in Ghana.. , 83, 232-241.
- Silveira, F., Dufur, M., & Shafer, K. (forthcoming). Race and Parental Discipline Practices: A Cross-National Comparison. Child Abuse and Neglect.
- Shafer, K. (2017). Divorce Stress, Stepfamily Stress, and Depression Among Emerging Adult Stepchildren. Journal of Child & Family Studies, 26(3), 851-862.
- Shafer, K. (2017). Transitioning to Stepfamily Life: The Influence of Closeness with Biological Parents and Stepparents on Children's Stress. Child & Family Social Work, 38(3), 406-432.
- Shafer, K. (2017). Similarities and Differences in the Influence of Paternal and Maternal Depression on Adolescent Well-Being. In Social Work Research (pp. 85-96). NASW Press.
- Shafer, K. (2016). Focusing on Men and Fathers--A Challenge for Social Work Research and Practice. Social Work Research, 40(4), 199-202.
- Shafer, K. (2016). Men: Health and Mental Health Care. Oxford Bibliographies in Social Work.
- Shafer, K., & Wendt, D. (2016). Gender Differences in Help Seeking Attitudes: Results from National Data. Health & Social Work, 41(1), 20-28.
- Shafer, K. (2015). Parenting and Depression: Differences Across Parental Roles: Journal of Family Issues.
- Shafer, K. (2015). Gender Differences in Depression Across Parental Roles. Social Work, 60(2), 115-125.
- Shafer, K. (2015). Men's Mental Health: A Call to Social Workers. In Social Work (pp. 105-112).
- Gibbs, B., Shafer, K., & Dufur, M. (2015). Why Infer? The Use and Misuse of Population Data in Sport Research. International Review for the Sociology of Sport, 50(1).
- Shafer, K., Jensen, T. M., & Larson, J. (2014). An Actor-Partner Model of Relationship Effort and Marital Quality. Family Relations, 63(5), 654-666.
- Limb, G., Shafer, K., & Sandoval, K. (2014). The Impact of Kin Support on Urban American Indian Families. Child & Family Social Work, 19(4), 432-442.
- Larson, J. h., Pace, G. T., Shafer, K., & Jensen, T. M. (forthcoming). Stepparenting issues and relationship quality: the role of clear communiction. Journal of Social Work, In press(In press), In press.
- Shafer, K., Jensen, T. M., & Larson, J. (2014). Relationship effort, satisfaction, and stability: Differences across union type. Journal of marital and family therapy, in press(in press), in press.
- Shafer, K. (2013). Unique Matching Patterns in Remarriage: Educational Assortative Mating among Divorced Men and Women. Journal of Family Issues.
- Shafer, K., & James, S. (2013). Gender and SES Differences in First and Second Marriage Formation: Journal of Marriage & Family. Malden, MA: Wiley.
- Jensen, T. M., & Shafer, K. (2013). Stepfamily Functioning and Closeness: Children’s Views on Second Marriages and Stepfather Relationships. Social Work.
- James, S., & Shafer, K. (2012). Temporal Differences in Remarriage Timing: Comparing Divorcés and Widows. Journal of Divorce & Remarriage, 53(7), 543-558.
- Painter, M. A., & Shafer, K. (2011). Race Ethnicity, Children, and Household Wealth Accumulation. Journal of Comparative Family Studies, 42(2), 145-169.
- Shafer, K., & Qian, Z. (2010). Marriage Timing and Educational Assortative Mating. Journal of Comparative Family Studies, 41(5), 661-691.