Kevin Shafer, Associate Professor
Office: 2019 JFSB
Kevin Shafer is an Associate Professor in Sociology and Director of Canadian Studies at Brigham Young University. His work addresses fathering, men's mental health, and how paternal mental health impacts father involvement and child wellbeing. He conducts this work in both the US and Canada.
- PhD in Sociology from The Ohio State University, 2009
- MA in Sociology from The Ohio State University, 2005
- BA in Sociology from The Ohio State University, 2002
• Mental health
• Canadian Studies
- Marjorie Pay Hinckley Young Scholar from College of Family, Home, and Social Sciences, 2017
- Shafer, K., Jensen, T. M., & Holmes, E. (2017). Divorce Stress, Stepfamily Stress, and Depression Among Emerging Adult Stepchildren. Journal of Child & Family Studies, 26(3), 851-862.
- Jensen, T. M., Shafer, K., & Holmes, E. (2017). Transitioning to Stepfamily Life: The Influence of Closeness with Biological Parents and Stepparents on Children's Stress. Child & Family Social Work, 38(3), 406-432.
- Shafer, K., Fielding, B., & Wendt, D. (2017). Similarities and Differences in the Influence of Paternal and Maternal Depression on Adolescent Well-Being. Social Work Research, 41(2), 85-96.
- Shafer, K. (2016). Men: Health and Mental Health Care. Oxford Bibliographies in Social Work.
- Shafer, K., & Wendt, D. (2016). Gender Differences in Help Seeking Attitudes: Results from National Data. In Health & Social Work (pp. 20-28).
- Pace, G. T., & Shafer, K. (2015). Parenting and Depression: Differences Across Parental Roles. Journal of Family Issues, 36(8), 1001-1021.
- Shafer, K. (2015). Gender Differences in Depression Across Parental Roles. Social Work, 60(2), 115-125.
- Shafer, K. (2015). Men's Mental Health: A Call to Social Workers. Social Work, 60(2), 105-112.
- Gibbs, B., Shafer, K., & Dufur, M. (2015). Why Infer? The Use and Misuse of Population Data in Sport Research: International Review for the Sociology of Sport.
- Limb, G., Shafer, K., & Sandoval, K. (2014). The Impact of Kin Support on Urban American Indian Families. Child & Family Social Work, 19(4), 432-442.
- Shafer, K. (2013). Unique Matching Patterns in Remarriage: Educational Assortative Mating among Divorced Men and Women. In Journal of Family Issues.
- Shafer, K., & James, S. (2013). Gender and SES Differences in First and Second Marriage Formation. Journal of Marriage & Family, 75(3).
- James, S., & Shafer, K. (2012). Temporal Differences in Remarriage Timing: Comparing Divorcés and Widows. Journal of Divorce & Remarriage, 53(7), 543-558.
- Painter, M. A., & Shafer, K. (2011). Race Ethnicity, Children, and Household Wealth Accumulation. Journal of Comparative Family Studies, 42(2), 145-169.
- Shafer, K., & Qian, Z. (2010). Marriage Timing and Educational Assortative Mating. Journal of Comparative Family Studies, 41(5), 661-691.