Ben Gibbs, Associate Professor
I am from Pennsylvania and met my wife while attending BYU. I have five glorious daughters.
My research is focused on early childhood inequality and the impact of family background on health and educational outcomes.
- Making Connections from National Organization for Research at the University of Chicago, 2014
- Mentoring Environment Grant from , 2014
- Mentoring Environment Grant from Brigham Young University, 2011
- Student Mentorship Grant from Department of Sociology, 2010
- American Educational Research Association Dissertation Grant from American Educational Research Association, 2009
- Spencer Foundation Grant from Spencer Foundation, 2008
- Graduate Association Teaching Award from Ohio State University, 2008
- Teaching Excellence Award from Ohio State University, 2007
- Sant Research on Families Fellowship from Sant Research on Families, 2004
- Sociology of Education Association
- American Educational Research Association
- American Sociological Association
- Gibbs, B. (2019). Education & Society: An Introduction to Critical Issues in the Sociology of Education. .
- Gibbs, B. (2018). Breastfeeding, Parenting, and Infant Attachment Behaviors. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 22(4), 579-588.
- Gibbs, B. (2017). Birth Weight, Parenting, and Early Cognitive Development. Maternal and Child Health Journal(21), 156-167.
- Gibbs, B. (2017). Commentary: ‘How Much is the Player in the Window? The One with the Early Birthday’ Relative Age Influences the Value of the Best Soccer Players, but Not the Best Businesspeople: Frontiers in Psychology.
- Gibbs, B. (2017). Inferential Statistics and the Use of Administrative Data in Educational Research. International Journal of Research & Method in Education.
- Gibbs, B., & Jarvis, J. (2017). The Relative Age Effect Reversal among the National Hockey League Elite. PLOS ONE.
- McKnight, M. L., Sanders, S., Gibbs, B., & Brown, R. (2017). Communities of Place? New Evidence for the Role of Distance and Population Size in Community Attachment. Rural Sociology, 82(2).
- Gibbs, B., & Jarvis, J. (2017). The Asian American Advantage in Math among Young Children: The Complex Role of Parenting. Sociological Perspectives, 60(2), 315-337.
- Gibbs, B., Erickson, L., Dufur, M., & Aaron, M. (2015). Extracurricular Associations and College Enrollment. Social Science Research, 50, 367-381.
- Gibbs, B., Shafer, K., & Dufur, M. (2015). Why Infer? The Use and Misuse of Population Data in Sport Research. International Review for the Sociology of Sport, 50(1).
- Harris, B., Morgan, C., & Gibbs, B. (2014). Evidence of Political Moderation over Time: Utah’s Immigration Debate On-Line. New Media and Society.
- Gibbs, B., & Heaton, T. (2014). Drop Out from Primary to Secondary School in Mexico: A Life Course Perspective. International Journal of Educational Development.
- Gibbs, B., & Forste, R. (2014). Socioeconomic Status, Infant Feeding Practices, and Early Childhood Obesity. Pediatric Obesity.
- Gibbs, B., & Forste, R. (2014). Breastfeeding, Parenting, and Early Cognitive Development. The Journal of Pediatrics.
- Gibbs, B., Woodall, A., & Rutkowski, M. (2012). The Mini-Documentary. TRAILS.
- Gibbs, B., & Dufur, M. (2012). The Rise of the Underdog?: The Relative Age Effect Reversal among Canadian-born NHL Hockey Players: A Response to Nolan and Howell. International Review for the Sociology of Sport, 47, 644-649.
- Gibbs, B. (2010). Reversing Fortunes or Content Change? Gender Gaps in Math-Related Skill throughout Childhood. Social Science Research, 39, 540-569.
- Gibbs, B., Dufur, M., Meiners, S., & Jeter, D. (2010). Gladwell’s Big Kid Bias?. Contexts, 9(4), 61-63.
- Gibbs, B. (2010). Novice, But Great. Talking About Teaching: A Collection of Essays, 4, 47-53.
- Downey, D. B., & Gibbs, B. (2010). How Schools Really Matter: A Contextual Perspective. Contexts, 9(2), 50-54.
- Bahr, S., Armstrong, A. H., Gibbs, B., Harris, P. E., & Fisher., J. K. (2005). The Reentry Process: How Parolees Adjust to Release from Prison. Fathering.