Jason Carroll, Professor
Department: Family Life
Office: 2057 JFSB
Jason S. Carroll, Ph.D. is a Professor of Marriage and Family Studies in the School of Family Life at Brigham Young University and the Associate Director of the Wheatley Institution. He received his Ph.D. in Family Social Science from the University of Minnesota. Dr. Carroll is an internationally-recognized researcher and educator in the areas of marriage fragmentation, sexual intimacy, marriage readiness among young adults, the effectiveness of marriage education, and modern threats to marriage (such as pornography, delayed age at marriage, materialism, premarital sexuality, and non-marital childbirth). Dr. Carroll’s work has been featured in the Economist, the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, the LA Times, Newsweek, USA Today, Psychology Today Magazine, National Public Radio, the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, and other popular media and news outlets. In 2014, Dr. Carroll received the Berscheid-Hatfield Award for Distinguished Mid-Career Achievement, an annual award given for distinguished scientific achievement by the International Association for Relationship Research.
Dr. Carroll has authored over 100 scientific articles, book chapters, and public scholarship pieces; and has presented numerous papers at national and international conferences. He is a professional member of the International Association for Relationship Research (IARR) and the Society for the Study of Emerging Adulthood (SSEA). Dr. Carroll’s research has appeared in leading scientific journals such as the Journal of Family Psychology, Archives of Sexual Behavior, Journal of Sex Research, Aggressive Behavior, Journal of American College Health, and the Journal of Adolescent Research. He recently authored a chapter entitled, “Marriage and Emerging Adulthood” in the Oxford Handbook of Emerging Adulthood and previously authored a chapter, entitled “Theorizing About Marriage” in the Sourcebook of Family Theories and Research. Most recently, Dr. Carroll was the research director and co-author of a highly publicized report entitled “Knot Yet: The Benefits and Costs of Delayed Marriage in America” (www.twentysomethingmarriage.org) that was funded by the National Marriage Project, The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, and the RELATE Institute.
Dr. Carroll served as a visiting scholar and was a research adviser for a national media campaign on healthy marriage targeting young adults that was conducted by the National Healthy Marriage Resource Center commissioned by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). In 2003, Dr. Carroll was commissioned by the Administration for Children and Families (ACF) to co-author a guiding report for the National Healthy Marriage Initiative entitled: A Comprehensive Framework for Marriage Education. Dr. Carroll currently serves on the editorial board for three journals: Emerging Adulthood, Family Relations, and the Journal of Couple and Relationship Therapy.
For many years, Dr. Carroll has been the lead instructor of the popular Preparation for Marriage (“Marriage Prep”) course at Brigham Young University. Currently he is the lead instructor for the new SFL 200 course “The Eternal Family” - a course that services over 1,500 students a year. He and his wife Stefani live in Draper Utah and are the blessed parents of five children.
Marriage Relationships, Marriage fragmentation, Paradoxical preparation for marriage,
Modern threats to marriage, Connections between emerging adulthood and marriage, Healthy Sexuality and Marital Intimacy
- Berscheid-Hatfield Award for Distinguished Mid-Career Achievement from International Association for Relationship Research (IARR),
- The Wheatley Institution
- International Association for Relationship Research
- The Love and Fidelity Network
- Society for the Study of Emerging Adulthood (SSEA)
- RELATE Institute (RI)
- Carroll, J. (2017). The Porn Gap: Differences in Men’s and Women’s Pornography Patterns in Couple Relationships. Journal of Couple and Relationship Therapy.
- Carroll, J., & Schumm, W. R. (2017). The Fall of Fertility: How Same-Sex Marriage Will Further Declining Birthrates in the Unites States. Ava Maria Law Review.
- Carroll, J. (2016). The Benefit of Friends: The Importance of Sexual Restraint and Friendship in Marriage Formation.. The Family in America: A Journal of Public Policy, 30(2), 229-243.
- Carroll, J. (2016). For Love or Money? The Economic Consequences of Delayed Marriage. The Family in America: A Journal of Public Policy, 30(1), 1-17.
- Carroll, J. (2015). On the horizon: Marriage timing, beliefs, and consequences in emerging adulthood. Handbook of Emerging Adulthood.
- Carroll, J. (forthcoming). How perception of God as transcendent moral authority influences marital connection among American Christians. Journal of Psychology and Christianity.
- Willoughby, B., & Carroll, J. (2013). Sowing wild oats: Does it produce valuable experience or a field full of weeds?. Personal Relationships, 20, 706-718.
- Carroll, J. (2013). Knot Yet: The Benefits and Costs of Delayed Marriage in America. , 39 pages.
- Willoughby, B., Carroll, J., Vitas, J., & Hill, L. (2012). When are you getting married? The Intergenerational Transmission of Marital Horizons. Journal of Family Issues, 33, 223-245.
- Carroll, J. (2012). Sooner or Later? The Marital Horizons of Emerging Adult Parents and Their Children. In Journal of Social and Personal Relationships (pp. 967-981).
- Carroll, J., Dean, L. R., Larson, L., & Busby, D. (2011). Materialism and Marriage: Couple Profiles of Congruent and Incongruent Spouses. Journal of Couple and Relationship Therapy, 10(1), 1-22.
- Busby, D., Carroll, J., & Willoughby, B. (2010). Compatibility or restraint? The effects of sexual timing on marriage relationships. Journal of Family Psychology, 24, 766-74.
- Carroll, J., Nelson, D., Harper, J., Hagmann, R., & Jensen, A. (2010). Relational Aggression in Marriage. Aggressive Behavior, 36, 315-329.
- Carroll, J., Badger, S., Willoughby, B., Nelson, L., Madsen, S., & & Barry, C. M. (2009). Ready or Not? Criteria for Marriage Readiness Among Emerging Adults. Journal of Adolescent Research, 24, 349-375.
- Carroll, J. (2008). A Comprehensive Framework for Marriage Education (CoFraME).. Family life education: Integrating theory and practice - 2nd ed, 15.
- Carroll, J. (2008). Generation XXX: Pornography Acceptance and Use Among Emerging Adults. Journal of Adolescent Research, 23, 6-30.
- Carroll, J. (2007). So Close, Yet So Far Away: The Impact of Varying Marital Horizons on Emerging Adulthood. Journal of Adolescent Research, 22, 219-247.
- Carroll, J. (2006). The Ability to Negotiate or the Ability to Love? Evaluating the Developmental Domains of Marital Competence. Journal of Family Issues, 27, 1001-1032.