Quin Monson, Associate Professor
Department: Political Science
Office: 745 KMBL
Quin Monson received his Ph.D. from Ohio State University in 2004. He does research in public opinion; campaigns and elections; survey research methods; and religion and politics. He is the co-author of Seeking the Promised Land: Mormons and American Politics (Cambridge Univ. Press, 2014) and his work has also appeared in the American Journal of Political Science, Political Analysis, Public Opinion Quarterly, and Political Behavior, among others.
- Ph.D. from Ohio State University, 2004
- Mollie and Karl Butler Young Scholar in Western Studies from Charles Redd Center for Western Studies, Brigham Young University, 2012
- Karpowitz, C., Preece, J., & Monson, J. (2017). How to Elect More Women: Gender and Candidate Success in a Field Experiment. American Journal of Political Science, 61(4), 927-943.
- Karpowitz, C., Monson, J., & Patterson, K. D. (2016). Who's In and Who's Out: The Politics of Religious Norms. Politics and Religion, 9, 508-536.
- Claassen, R. L., & Monson, J. (2015). Does Civic Education Matter? The Power of Long-Term Observation and the Experimental Method. Journal of Political Science Education, 11(4), 404-421.
- Campbell, D. E., Karpowitz, C., & Monson, J. (2015). A Politically Peculiar People: How Mormons Moved Into and Then Out Of the Political Mainstream. In Randall Balmer and Jana Riess (Ed.), Mormonism and American Politics. New York, New York: Columbia University Press.
- Hassell, H. J., & Monson, J. (forthcoming). Representational Inconsistency: Presentation of Self and Explanations of Washington Activity in Campaign Mail and Franked Mail. Congress and the Presidency, 43, 206-226.
- Campbell, D. E., Green, J. C., & Monson, J. (2014). Seeking the Promised Land: Mormons and American Politics. Cambridge University Press.
- Barber, M., Mann, C. J., Monson, J., & Patterson, K. (2014). Online Polls and Registration Based Sampling: A New Method for Pre-election Polling. Political Analysis, 21, 321-335.
- Hassell, H. J., & Monson, J. (2013). Campaign Targets and Messages in Direct Mail Fundraising. Political Behavior, 36, 359-376.
- Claassen, R., Magleby, D., Monson, J., & Patterson, K. (2013). Voter Confidence and the Election-Day Voting Experience. Political Behavior, 35, 213-235.
- Campbell, D. E., Green, J. C., & Monson, J. (2012). The Stained Glass Ceiling: Social Contact and Mitt Romney's "Religion Problem". Political Behavior, 34, 277-299.
- Frei, M., Monson, J., Murray, L., & Patterson, K. (2012). Tea for Only Two: The Ousting of Utah Senator Robert Bennett”: Tea Party Effects on 2010 U.S. Senate Elections: Stuck in the Middle to Lose. Lexington, Kentucky: Lexington Books, an imprint of Rowman & Littlefield.
- Karpowitz, C., Monson, J., Nielson, L., Patterson, K., & Snell, S. A. (2011). Political Norms and the Private Act of Voting. In Public Opinion Quarterly (pp. 659-685). Oxford Journals.
- Karpowitz, C., Monson, J., Patterson, K., & Pope, J. C. (2011). Tea Time in America? The Impact of the Tea Part Movement on the 2010 Midterm Elections. PS: Political Science and Politics, 44(2), 303-309.
- Monson, J., Grant, J. T., & Mockabee, S. T. (2010). Campaign Effects on the Accessibility of Party Identification. Political Research Quarterly, 62, 811-821.
- Patterson, K., Monson, J., & Hall, T. (2009). The Human Dimension of Elections: How Poll Workers Shape Public Confidence in Elections. In Political Research Quarterly (pp. 507-522).
- Monson, J., & Campbell, D. E. (2008). The Religion Card: Gay Marriage and the 2004 Presidential Election. Public Opinion Quarterly, 72, 399-419.