Shawn Gale, Associate Professor
Office: 1060 KMBL
Licensed Psychologist since 1995 & Board Certified Clinical Neuropsychologist since 2000. Places practiced: private practice in SLC, University of Virginia Dept. of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, and SJHMC/ Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship from LDS Hospital, 1995
- PhD in Psychology from Brigham Young University, 1994
- MS in Experimental Psychology from Brigham Young University, 1990
- BS in Psychology from Brigham Young University, 1988
My research interests are largely centered in the field of neuropsychology, which is the study of brain-behavior relationships. I utilize clinical and research techniques, including neurocognitive assessment and neuroimaging through our new MRI Research Facility here on campus, and neuroepidemiological techniques, to investigate neurocognitive outcomes in various neurologic disorders including traumatic brain injury, epilepsy, and dementia. More recently, I have become increasingly interested in the potential negative effects of (latent) infectious disease on neurocognitive functions and psychiatric illness.
- American Academy of Clinical Neuropsychology
- American Psychological Association
- International Neuropsychological Society
- National Academy of Neuropsychology
- Gale, S. (2018). Toxoplasma gondii seropositivity and substance use in US adults. Folia Parasitologica, 65(011).
- Gale, S., Berrett, A. N., Erickson, L., Brown, B., & Hedges, D. (2018). Association between Virus Exposure and Depression in US Adults. Psychiatry Research, 261, 73-79.
- Berrett, A. N., Gale, S., Erickson, L., Brown, B., & Hedges, D. (2018). Helicobacter pylori moderates the association between 5-MTHF concentration and cognitive function in older adults. PLoS One, 13(1: e0190475).
- Berrett, A. N., Erickson, L., Gale, S., Stone, A., Brown, B., & Hedges, D. (2017). Toxocara Seroprevalence and Associated Risk Factors in the United States. American Journal of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene, 97(6), 1846-1850.
- Hedges, D., Berrett, A. N., Erickson, L., Brown, B., & Gale, S. (2017). Association between Infection Burden and Adult Height. Economics and Human Biology, 27, Part A, 275-280.
- Berrett, A. N., Gale, S., Erickson, L., Brown, B., & Hedges, D. (2017). Toxoplasma Gondii Moderates the Association between Multiple Folate-Cycle Factors and Cognitive Function in U.S. Adults. Nutrients, 9(6), 564.
- Perry Wyman, C., Gale, S., Hedges-Muncy, A., Erickson, L., Wilson, E., & Hedges, D. (2017). Association between Toxoplasma gondii Seropositivity and Memory Function in Non-Demented Older Adults. Neurobiology of Aging, 53, 76-82.
- Wright, K. L., Kirwan, C., Gale, S., Levan, A. J., & Hopkins, R. (2017). Long-term cognitive and neuroanatomical stability in patients with anoxic amnesia: A case resport. Brain Injury, 31(5), 709-716.
- Berrett, A., Gale, S., Erickson, L., Brown, B., & Hedges, D. (2016). Folate and inflammatory markers moderate the association between Helicobacter pylori and cognitive function in US adults. Helicobacter, 21(6), 471-480.
- Gale, S. (2016). Right frontal pole cortical thickness and executive functioning in children with traumatic brain injury: The impact on social problems. Brain Imaging and Behavior, 10(4), 1090-1095.
- Berrett, A. N., Gale, S., Erickson, L., Brown, B., & Hedges, D. (2016). No Association between latent toxoplasmosis and multiple body measures in U.S. adults. Folia Parasitologica.
- Gale, S. (2016). Executive function in pediatric sleep-disordered breathing: A Meta-analysis. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, 22(8), 839-850.
- Gale, S., Berrett, A., Brown, B., Erickson, L., & Hedges, D. (2016). No Association between current depression and latent toxoplasmosis in adults. , 63.
- Mietchen, J., Gale, S., & Jensen, C. (2016). Parent-reported deficits in executive function and sleep disordered breathing in adolescent behavioral weight loss program participants. Journal of Pediatric Neuropsychology, 2, 119-128.
- Gale, S., Erickson, L., Berrett, A., Brown, B., & Hedges, D. (2016). Infectious disease burden and cognitive function in young to middle-aged adults. Brain Behavior and Immunity, 52, 161-168.
- Gale, S. (2016). Greater memory impairment in dementing females than males relative to sex matched healthy controls. , 38(5), 527-533.
- Gale, S. (2015). Seizure semiology in male with psychogenic nonepileptic seizures is associated with somatic complaints. , 115, 153-157.
- Erickson, L., Gale, S., Berrett, A., Brown, B., & Hedges, D. (2015). Association between toxocariasis and cognitive functioning in young to middle-aged adults. Folia Parasitologica, 62.
- Gale, S., Erickson, L., Brown, B., & Hedges, D. (2015). Interaction between Helicobacter pylori and Latent Toxoplasmosis and Demographic Variables on Cognitive Function in Young to Middle-Aged Adults. PLOS ONE.
- Zhang, M., Gale, S., Erickson, L., Brown, B., Woody, P., & Hedges, D. (2015). Cognitive function in older adults according to current socioeconomic status. Aging, Neuropsychology and Cognition, 22(5), 534-543.
- Gale, S., Brown, B., Erickson, L., Berrett, A., & Hedges, D. (2014). Association Between Latent Toxoplasmosis and Cognition in Adults: A Cross-Sectional Study. In Parasitology.
- Gale, S., Brown, B., Berrett, A., Erickson, L., & Hedges, D. (2014). Associations between Latent Toxoplasmosis and Major Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Panic Disorder in Human Adults. Folia Parasitologica, 61(4), 285-292.
- Gale, S. (2014). Right Frontal Pole Cortical Thickness and Social Competence in Children with Chronic Traumatic Brain Injury: Cognitive Proficiency as a Mediator. Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation.
- Gale, S. (2012). Neuroimaging Predictors of Stroke Outcome: Implications for Neurorehabilitation. NeuroRehabilitation, 31(3), 331-344.
- Gale, S. (2012). Concurrent administration of the MMPI-2 and PAI in a sample of patients with epileptic or non-epileptic seizures: Implications for an inpatient epilepsy monitoring unit. Epilepsy & Behavior, 25, 181-184.
- Gale, S. (2012). Neuropsychological outcome following minimal access subtemporal selective amygdalohippocampectomy. Seizure, 21(5), 353-360.
- Gale, S. (2011). Predicting psychogenic nonepileptic seizures with the Personality Assessment Inventory and seizure variables. In Epilepsy & Behavior (pp. 505-510).
- Gale, S. (2011). Neuropsychological characteristics of nonepileptic seizure semiological subgroups. Epilepsy & Behavior, 22(3), 255-260.
- Gale, S. (2011). APOE e4 is associated with exacerbation of cognitive decline in patients with multiple sclerosis. Cognitive and behavioral neurology, 24(3), 128-133.
- Gale, S. (2011). The current status of postconcussion syndrome. Curr Opin Psychiatry, 24, 243-250.
- Gale, S. (2010). Deep white matter volume loss and social reintegration after traumatic brain injury in children. J Head Trauma Rehabil, 25(1), 15-22.
- Gale, S. (2007). Sex Differences on the RAVLT and BVMT-R in the Elderly: Normative Data in 172 Participants. J Clin Exp Neuropsychol, 29(5), 561-567.
- Gale, S. (2005). Traumatic brain injury and grey matter concentration: a preliminary voxel based morphometry study. Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, 76, 984-988.
- Gale, S. (2004). Effects of hypoxia on the brain: Neuroimaging and neuropsychological findings following carbon monoxide poisoning and obstructive sleep apnea. Journal of the Neuropsychological Society, 10, 60-71.
- Gale, S. (1999). MRI, quantitative MRI, SPECT, and neuropsychological findings following carbon monoxide poisoning. Brain Injury, 13(4), 229-243.