Scott Sanders, Assistant Professor
Office: 2039 JFSB
- PhD in Development Sociology from Cornell University, 2013
- Masters in Public Administration in International Development from Cornell University, 2006
- BS in International Politics from Brigham Young University, 2002
Rural inequalities, Poverty, Health care access, Globalization and labor in Southeast Asia
- Early Career Award from Rural Sociological Society, 2017
- Certificate of Appreciation from Rural Sociological Society, 2015
- Rural Sociological Society
- Sanders, S. (forthcoming). The multi-scalar organization of aging-related services in US rural places. The Journal of Rural Studies.
- Sanders, S. (2018). Lifetime Stayers in Urban, Rural, and Highly Rural Communities in Montana. Population, Space, and Place.
- McKnight, M. L., Sanders, S., Gibbs, B., & Brown, R. (2017). Communities of Place? New Evidence for the Role of Distance and Population Size in Community Attachment. Rural Sociology, 82(2).
- Sanders, S. (forthcoming). Overcoming Geographic Penalties of Inequality: The Effects of Distance-demolishing Technologies on Household Well-being in Vietnam. Journal of Asian Social Sciences.
- Sanders, S. (forthcoming). Born Poor? Racial Diversity, Inequality, and the American Pipeline. Sociology of Race and Ethnicity.
- Sanders, S., Erickson, L., Call, V., & McKnight, M. D. (2017). Middle-Aged and Older Adult Health Care Selection Health Care Bypass Behavior in Rural Communities in Montana. In Journal of Applied Gerontology.
- Thiede, B. C., Brown, D. L., Sanders, S., Glasgow, N., & Kulcsar, L. J. (2017). A Demographic Deficit? Local Population Aging and Access to Services in Rural America, 1990–2010. Rural Sociology(10.1111/ruso.12117).
- Sanders, S., Erickson, L., Call, V., Rugh, J., & McKnight, M. (2016). Healthcare Utilization in the Heartland: How Healthcare Selection Varies Between Rural Retirement-Age Migrants and Long-Term Residents. Rural Sociology, 81(1).
- Sanders, S. (2015). Rural America. The Oxford Encyclopedia of Latinos and Latinas in Contemporary Politics, Law, and Social Movements(2015).
- Theide, B. C., Lichter, D. T., & Sanders, S. (2015). America’s working poor: Conceptualization, measurement, and new estimates. Work and Occupations, 42(3), 267-312.
- Lichter, D. T., Sanders, S., & Johnson, K. M. (2015). Hispanics at the Starting Line: Poverty among Newborn Infants in Established Gateways and New Destinations.. Social Forces, 94(1), 209-235.
- Sanders, S., Erickson, L., Call, V., McKnight, M., & Hedges, D. (2015). Rural Health Care Bypass Behavior: How Community and Spatial Characteristics Affect Primary Health Care Selection. Journal of Rural Health, 31(2), 146-156.
- Sanders, S., & Brown, D. L. (2014). Escaping Poverty in Post- Socialist Vietnam: Does space matter?. Poverty & Public Policy, 6(4), 332-353.
- Sanders, S. (2014). North vs. South: The effects of FDI and historical legacies on poverty in Post-doi moi Vietnam. In Journal of Vietnamese Studies (pp. 46-67).
- Sanders, S. (2012). The Migratory Response of Labor to Special Economic Zones in the Philippines, 1995-200. Population Research and Policy Review, 31(1), 141 - 164.