Mikaela Dufur, Associate Professor
Office: 2037 JFSB
Mikaela Dufur received a bachelor's degree in English from Brigham Youn University and master's and PhD degrees in sociology from The Ohio State University. Her primary research interests are in the social resources available to children and adolescents, particularly how those resources vary in different family structures. She also studies race and gender in sports.
Child and Adolescent Social Capital
Social Resources in Families and Schools
Single Mother and Single Father Families
Cross-national difference in Family Structures
Race and Gender in Sport
- National Council of Family Relations
- Population Association of America
- Silveira, F., Dufur, M., & Shafer, K. (forthcoming). Race and Parental Discipline Practices: A Cross-National Comparison. Child Abuse and Neglect.
- Dufur, M., & Alexander, A. J. (2017). Does Childhood Family Structure Help Create Stratification in Adult Education and Labor Market Attainment?: An Argument for the Selectivity Perspective. Sociology Compass, 11(1), 1-13.
- Gibbs, B., Erickson, L., Dufur, M., & Aaron, M. (2015). Extracurricular Associations and College Enrollment. Social Science Research, 50, 367-381.
- Gibbs, B., Shafer, K., & Dufur, M. (2015). Why Infer? The Use and Misuse of Population Data in Sport Research. International Review for the Sociology of Sport, 50(1).
- Feinberg, S. L., & Dufur, M. (2014). Senseless Messaging: Advertising Images of Illegal Driving and Deviant Behavior. Deviant Behavior, 35(22), 843-858.
- Dufur, M. (2014). Race Differences in Educational Attainment of Youth Aged 7-18 in Post-Apartheid South Africa: The role of Family Structure, Resources and School Quality. South African Journal of Sociology, 101-121.
- Flake, C. R., Dufur, M., & Moore, E. L. (2013). Holding Serve: Productivity and Pay Differentials in Men’s and Women’s Professional Tennis. International Review for the Sociology of Sport, 48, 366-376.
- Dufur, M., Parcel, T. L., & Troutman, K. P. (2013). Does Capital at Home Matter More than Capital at School?: Social Capital Effects on Academic Achievement. Research in Social Stratification and Mobility, 31(1), 1-21.
- Dufur, M., Parcel, T. L., & McKune, B. J. (2013). The Differential Effects of Social Capital at Home and at School in Predicting Youth Drug and Alcohol Use. Journal of Drug Issues, 43(1), 85-102.
- Gibbs, B., & Dufur, M. (2012). The Rise of the Underdog?: The Relative Age Effect Reversal among Canadian-born NHL Hockey Players: A Response to Nolan and Howell. International Review for the Sociology of Sport, 47, 644-649.
- Gibbs, B., Dufur, M., Meiners, S., & Jeter, D. (2010). Gladwell’s Big Kid Bias?. Contexts, 9(4), 61-63.
- Dufur, M., Howell, N. C., Downey, D. B., Ainsworth, J. W., & Lapray, A. (2010). Differences in Parenting Behaviors in Single-Mother and Single-Father Households. Journal of Marriage and Family, 72(5), 1092-1106.
- Dufur, M. (2010). Title IX and Other Legal Interventions in Sport: Consequences for Female Athletes, Male Athletes, and Gender Construction. Sociology Compass, 9(4), 732-748.
- Parcel, T. L., Dufur, M., & Zito, R. C. (2010). Capital at Home and at School: A Review and Synthesis. Journal of Marriage and Family, 72(4), 828-846.