Sam Hardy, Associate Professor
I am an associate professor in the Department of Psychology at Brigham Young University. I completed my B.S. in Human Development at BYU. Then, I did graduate work in Developmental Psychology at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, working under Drs. Marcela Raffaelli and Gustavo Carlo. Following graduate school I worked for two years as a postdoctoral research fellow in Longitudinal Data Analysis and Lifespan Development with Dr. John Nesselroade at the University of Virginia. I joined the faculty at BYU in 2007.
I am currently focusing on religious and spiritual development in adolescence and young adulthood.
- Hardy, S. (2018). Understanding the roles of religiosity and spirituality in emerging adults in the United States.. In Psychology of Religion and Spirituality (pp. 30-43).
- Hardy, S. (2017). The roles of personal identity, religious identity, and moral identity in predicting prosocial and antisocial behavior in emerging adulthood.. In Identity: An International Journal of Theory and Research.
- Hardy, S. (2017). Religiosity and chastity values among young adults and married adults. Psychology of Religion and Spirituality.
- Warren, J., & Hardy, S. (2017). Youth motivation as a predictor of treatment outcomes in a community mental health system.. Psychotherapy Research.
- Hardy, S. (2016). Measuring triune ethics orientation. In Embodied morality: Protectionism, engagement, and imagination.. London: Macmillan.
- Hardy, S. (2015). Identity centrality and psychosocial functioning: A person-centered approach.. Emerging Adulthood, 3, 327-339.
- Hardy, S. (2015). Religiousness and levels of hazardous alcohol use: A latent profile analysis.. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 44, 1968-1983.
- Hardy, S., & Dollahite, D. (2015). Adolescent motivations to engage in prosocial behaviors and abstain from health-risk behaviors: A self-determination theory approach.. Journal of Personality, 83, 479-490.
- Hardy, S. (2015). Moral identity. In R. A. Scott & S. M. Kosslyn (Ed.), Emerging trends in the social and behavioral sciences. Wiley.
- Hardy, S. (2015). Identity in young adulthood: Links with mental health and risky behavior.. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 36, 39-52.
- Hardy, S. (2015). Implicit theories of intellectual virtues and vices: A focus on intellectual humility. Journal of Positive Psychology, 10, 389-406.
- Hardy, S. (2015). Moral identity and adolescent prosocial and antisocial behaviors: Interactions with moral disengagement and self-regulation.. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 44, 1542-1554.
- Hardy, S. (2014). Daily religious involvement, spirituality, and moral emotions.. Psychology of Religion and Spirituality, 6, 338-348.
- Hardy, S. (2014). Meaning in life in emerging adulthood: A person-oriented approach.. In Journal of Personality (pp. 57-68).
- Hardy, S. (2014). Moral identity as moral ideal self: Links to adolescent outcomes.. Developmental Psychology, 50, 45-57.
- Hardy, S. (2014). Cultivating the moral personality: Socialization in the family and beyond. Handbook of socialization theory and research(2nd), 661-685.
- Hardy, S. (2013). Good choices, poor choices: Relationship between the quality of identity commitments and psychosocial functioning.. Emerging Adulthood, 1, 163-174.
- Hardy, S. (2013). Meaning in life in emerging adulthood: A person-oriented approach. Journal of Personality.
- Hardy, S. (2013). Moral identity as moral ideal self: Links to adolescent outcomes.. Developmental Psychology.
- Hardy, S. (2013). Religiousness and hazardous alcohol use: A conditional indirect effects model.. Journal of Adolescence, 36, 747-758.
- Hardy, S. (2013). Identity dimensions and related processes in emerging adulthood: helpful or harmful?. In Journal of Clinical Psychology (pp. 415-432).
- Hardy, S. (2013). Disintegration, new consciousness, and discontinuous transformation: A qualitative investigation of quantum change.. The Humanistic Psychologist, 41, 159-177.
- Hardy, S. (2013). The roles of identity formation and moral identity in college student mental health, health risk behaviors, and psychological well-being.. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 69, 364-382.
- Hardy, S., & Ridge, R. (2013). Adolescent Religiosity as a Protective Factor against Pornography Use: The Mediating Roles of Self-Regulation, Pornography Attitudes, and Social Control. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 34, 131-139.
- Hardy, S., Olsen, J., & Yamawaki, N. (2013). Parent- adolescent attachment as a mediator of relations between parenting and adolescent social behavior and well-being in China.. International Journal of Psychology, 48, 1185-1190.
- Hardy, S. (2013). Individual, family, and peer predictors of violence among Samoan adolescents.. Youth & Society, 45, 428-449.
- Dollahite, D., & Hardy, S. (2013). Adolescent and parent perceptions of the influence of religious belief and practice. Journal of Psychology and Christianity, 32(3), 192-205.
- Hardy, S. (2012). Religiosity and adolescent empathy and aggression: The mediating role of moral identity.. Psychology of Religion and Spirituality, 4, 237-248.
- Hardy, S., & Dollahite, D. (2012). Religious exploration among highly-religious American adolescents. Identity: An International Journal of Theory and Research, 12(2), 157-184.
- Hardy, S. (forthcoming). Does Education and Training in Ethics Affect the Ethical Awareness of Practicing Accountants?. .
- Hardy, S. (2011). Adolescent naturalistic conceptions of moral maturity.. Social Development, 20, 562-586.
- Hardy, S. (2011). Parenting and the socialization of religiousness and spirituality.. Psychology of Religion and Spirituality, 3, 217-230.
- Hardy, S. (2011). Anchors of religious commitment in adolescence. Journal of Adolescent Research, 26, 381-413.
- Hardy, S. (2011). Examining the light and dark sides of emerging adults' identity: A study of identity status differences in positive and negative psychosocial functioning.. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 40, 839-859.
- Hardy, S. (2011). Moral identity. Handbook of identity theory and research..
- Hardy, S., & Christensen, K. (2011). Hope as a mediator between parent-child connectedness and adolescent outcomes. Journal of Early Adolescence, 31, 853-879.
- Christensen, K., Busby, D., Hardy, S., & Day, R. (2011). Relational and Social-Cognitive Influences on Adolescents' Forgiveness of Parents. Journal of Adolescence, 34, 903-913.
- Hardy, S. (2011). Moral identity: What is it, how does it develop, and is it linked to moral action?. Child Development Perspectives, 5, 212-218.
- Hardy, S. (2011). Community and religious involvement as contexts of identity change across late adolescence and emerging adulthood.. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 35, 125-135.
- Hardy, S. (2011). The roles of shame and guilt in hypersexual behavior. Sexual Addiction & Compulsivity, 18, 12-29.