Spencer James, Associate Professor
Department: Family Life
Office: 2095 JFSB
Dr. Spencer L. James is an associate professor of Family Life and an Africana Studies affiliate at Brigham Young University. His research focuses on global family relationships and how those relationships influence the wellbeing of children, adolescents, and adults.
- International Association for Relationship Research
- National Council on Family Relations
- Population Association of America
- Amato, P. R., & James, S. (forthcoming). Changes in spousal relationships over the marital life course. In Social networks and the Life Course. New York: Springer International.
- James, S., Roby, J., Powell, L. J., Teuscher, B. A., & Hamstead, K. L. (forthcoming). Does Family Reunification from Residential Care Facilities Serve Children's Best Interest? A Propensity-Score Matching Approach in Ghana.. , 83, 232-241.
- White, T. J., Duncan, S., James, S., & Holmes, E. (2019). Marital Interventions: Participation, Helpfulness, and Change in a Nationally Representative Sample. Family Relations.
- James, S. (2018). Toward Understanding Posttraumatic Stress and Depression among Trauma-Affected Widows in Sri Lanka. Psychological Trauma: Research, Practice & Policy.
- Willoughby, B., & James, S. (2017). The Marriage Paradox. .
- Shafer, K., James, S., & Larson, J. (2016). Relationship Self-Regulation and Relationship Quality: The Moderating Influence of Gender. Journal of Child & Family Studies, 25(4), 1145-1154.
- James, S. (2015). Changes in marital beliefs among emerging adults: Examining marital paradigms over time.. Emerging Adulthood, 3.
- James, S. (2015). Intergenerational Assistance to Adult Children: Gender and Number of Sisters and Brothers: Journal of Family Issues. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- James, S. (2015). Variation in Marital Quality in a National Sample of Divorced Women. Journal of Family Psychology, 48, 479-489.
- James, S. (2015). Variation in Trajectories of Women's Marital Quality. Social Science Research, 49, 16-30.
- James, S. (2014). Longitudinal Patterns of Marital Quality: The Case of Divorce, Cohabitation, and Race-Ethnicity. Marriage and Family Review, 50(8), 738-763.
- James, S., & Amato, P. R. (2013). Self-Esteem and the Reproduction of Social Class. Social Science Quarterly, In Press(In Press), In Press.
- Shafer, K., & James, S. (2013). Gender and SES Differences in First and Second Marriage Formation. Journal of Marriage & Family, 75(3).
- James, S. (2012). Reassessing the Link between Women's Premarital Cohabitation and Marital Quality. Social Forces, 91(2), 635-662.
- James, S. (2012). Temporal Differences in Remarriage Timing: Comparing Divorcés and Widows. Journal of Divorce & Remarriage, 53(7), 543-558.