Ignacio M. Garcia is the Lemuel Hardison Redd Jr. Professor of Western & Latino History and the author of seven books on Mexican American/Chicano history, two of which have received outstanding book awards. His memoir "Chicano While Mormon" speaks to the challenges of being an activist and a faithful member of the LDS church.
Research InterestsMexican American civil rights, community studies and Latino Mormon history. How writers create narratives.
Teaching InterestsChicano/Latino civil rights, American history with an emphasis on the concepts of "Liberty, Equality, Justice" and community. Also, the Vietnam War, insurgencies and populist social movements. I'm also interested in writing for history and other intellectual topics.
Honors and Awards
- James V. Mink Award, Southwest Oral History Association (2019 - Present)
- Martin B. Hickman Diverstiy and Inclusion Award, College of Family, Home & Social Science (2019 - Present)
- Lemuel Hardison Redd, Jr. Professorship of Western History (2006 - Present)
- Certificate of Appreciation, Mormon History Association (2019 - 2021)
- Jose M. Rubio Lifetime Achievement Award , Utah Valley University (2017 - 2017)
- Alan Lowman Award, Texas State Historical Association (2015 - 2015)
- Tejano Service and Heritage Award, Texas A&M University--Kingsville (2014 - 2014)
- Fulbright Fellowship to Taiwan, Council for International Exchange of Scholars (2008 - 2008)
- Coral H. Tullis, Texas State Historical Association (2000 - 2000)
- Charles Redd Center for Western Studies
- Global Mormon Studies Society (2017 - Present)
- Mormon History Association (2013 - Present)
- Western History Association (2004 - Present)
- Texas State Historical Association (2001 - Present)
- National Association of Chicana/Chicano Studies (1983 - Present)
- Board Member, Global Mormon Studies Society (2018 - Present)
- Board Member, Utah State History Division (2022 - 2023)
- Other, Mormon History Association (2018 - 2020)
- Committee/Council Member, Utah Humanities Council (2003 - 2005)
- Committee/Council Member, Judicial Committee for 4th District Court (2003 - 2004)