Married with three children. I enjoy rock climbing, biking, skiing, golf, chess, birding, and family history.
Research InterestsThe Soviet penal system (Gulag) in particular and prison systems and philosophies more broadly.
Teaching InterestsRussian, European, and World History; punishment, prisons, and concentrations camps; historical writing.
- Ph.D., Russian History , Eastern European History, Princeton University (2011)
- M.A., European History , Brigham Young University (2006)
- B.A., International Studies , Business Management, Brigham Young University (2001)
Honors and Awards
- FHSS Young Scholar, College of Family, Home, and Social Sciences, BYU (2018 - 2021)
- Article of the Year, Canadian Association of Slavists (2019 - 2019)
- Honorable Mention, W. Bruce Lincoln Book Prize, Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies (2018 - 2018)
- Raymond E. and Ida Lee Beckham Lecture Prize, BYU Schools of Communications (2015 - 2015)
- Robert C. Tucker/Stephen F. Cohen Dissertation Prize, Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies (2012 - 2012)
- American Historical Association (2010 - Present)
- Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies (2005 - Present)
- Phi Alpha Theta National History Honor Society (2005 - Present)
- Media Interview, BYU Radio (2014 - 2014)
- Other, Educational Testing Service/AP European History (2011 - 2011)
- Conference-Related Role, American Historical Association (2011 - 2011)