Stephen F. Duncan, Ph.D., CFLE, is Professor in the School of Family Life at Brigham Young University. Dr. Duncan specializes in strengthening marriages and families through outreach family life education. At BYU he teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in Family Life Education. Family Adaptability and Resiliency, Marriage Enhancement, and coordinates internships for the School. He conducts research on marriage preparation, marriage and relationship education, and improving the practice of family life education. With colleague and coauthor H. Wallace (Wally) Goddard, he has published the 3rd edition of Family Life Education: Principles and Practices for Effective Outreach (SAGE, 2017). In addition to teaching and research, Dr. Duncan also oversees outreach family life education projects for the School. He directs the Forever Families website (www.foreverfamilies.byu.edu), and was director of content development for Real Families, Real Answers, a popular reality-based documentary series airing on BYU Television worldwide and numerous American public television stations.
Research InterestsMarriage and relationship education; family life education training; family life education program development, implementation, and evaluation.
Teaching InterestsFamily life education, family adaptation and resiliency.
Licenses and Certifications
- National Council on Family Relations, Certified Family Life Educator (CFLE) (2001 - Present)
Honors and Awards
- Virginia F.Cutler Lecturer, College of Family, Home, and Social Sciences (2020 - 2020)
- Editorial Review Board Member, Family Science Review (2010 - Present)
- Editorial Review Board Member, Journal of Couple and Relationship Therapy (2008 - Present)
- Editorial Review Board Member, Family Relations (1991 - 2014)
- Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer, Journal of Comparative Family Studies (2008 - 2008)